Question About Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm putting together my first keg setup at the moment. I'm trying to keep my costs down as much as possible and wondering what alternatives there are to the pluto beer guns as they seem pretty steep at around $100 each. I've seen various beer taps on ebay for around the $30 mark, eg ebay link

Would something like this be a decent way to actually pour my beer? Any other cheaper options? I won't be drilling any holes in the fridge yet so if I get one that has to be mounted it would have to be to a board in the fridge.

You only buy a beer gun once and even if you move on you can use it for a party keg setup or flog it on.
Having said that, pouring with a beer gun is an art and you'd probably do better with the e-bay tap, but once you get it you're going to need to re-build it ie new seals and what have you and for some of the really old ones they might not be available anymore, so...
You can find brumby taps on e-bay, I got mine for ~$85 and I think that came with beer line and a disconnect. Though having said that, I wouldn't buy one of those again either, but then a Shirron is going to set you back a few more $$.
If cost is really ultra tight, just buy a plastic picnic tap, just get used to lots of head or lowly carbonated beer.

Yeah, my suggestion would be one of the bronco picnic taps (linky) in the interim while you save your pennies for a good tap... from what I have heard on here, they actually pour pretty well (never used one myself)...

IMHO its better to not spend too much money on an interim solution if you are saving for a better tap in the long run B)

Hi all,
I'm putting together my first keg setup at the moment. I'm trying to keep my costs down as much as possible and wondering what alternatives there are to the pluto beer guns as they seem pretty steep at around $100 each. I've seen various beer taps on ebay for around the $30 mark, eg ebay link

Would something like this be a decent way to actually pour my beer? Any other cheaper options? I won't be drilling any holes in the fridge yet so if I get one that has to be mounted it would have to be to a board in the fridge.
G'day Tim,
The taps you liked still need shanks and barb adapters for your line so $30 is just the start. For a very cheap but surprisingly effective short term solution (until you can convince others of the need to drill :lol: ) the good old picnic tap works a treat.
It certainly has no bling factor but you may be pouring beers sooner and thinking more clearly about tap solutions.
Cheers
Doug

Yeah, my suggestion would be one of the bronco picnic taps (linky) in the interim while you save your pennies for a good tap... from what I have heard on here, they actually pour pretty well (never used one myself)...

IMHO its better to not spend too much money on an interim solution if you are saving for a better tap in the long run B)

I used one of these for quite a while and they pour very well. They are a little small and fiddly to hold though as the lever spins 360 degrees.. so don't let drunken first timers use it. I only upgraded because I wanted a fixed tap on the fridge. For the price you can't go wrong and they do what they are supposed to do.

Adding to the Bronco Tap supporters. Bought one to make the kegs portable and found it worked well.

Bronco tap is ridiculously good for what it is....I only got one as a short term solution, but it pours so well I have found no need to replace it. I also find it great for low carbonated styles...very easy to open the tap part way to force a head.

You only buy a beer gun once and even if you move on you can use it for a party keg setup or flog it on.
Having said that, pouring with a beer gun is an art and you'd probably do better with the e-bay tap, but once you get it you're going to need to re-build it ie new seals and what have you and for some of the really old ones they might not be available anymore, so...
You can find brumby taps on e-bay, I got mine for ~$85 and I think that came with beer line and a disconnect. Though having said that, I wouldn't buy one of those again either, but then a Shirron is going to set you back a few more $$.
If cost is really ultra tight, just buy a plastic picnic tap, just get used to lots of head or lowly carbonated beer.

Cant say I agree with the last little sentence here, ive got a bronco tap and love it, carbonation is great and it pours a great beer with a nice head, nowhere near lots of head.... I guess as they say, you need to have your system set up properly and balanced.. Ive got 1 celli and will get another but until I have others drinking my beer, ill stick to the bronco tap, works for me.. ;)

Bronco tap is ridiculously good for what it is....I only got one as a short term solution, but it pours so well I have found no need to replace it. I also find it great for low carbonated styles...very easy to open the tap part way to force a head.

+1, i just dont find that I need to force a head actually, I get a great head(the only :eek: ) just pouring normally...

If you're interested in a quick fix just to get the beer pouring, go for the picnic taps (you can get slightly different ones from liquorcraft.com.au). I'd suggest these because they'll be something you keep and use even later on down the track. However, if you're concerned about the effort required to get the taps on your fridge, don't be, I've done it three times now, and it's gotten easier every time. Get a drill and put in your measured pilot holes into your door and then get a ******* file (circular, not flat, file) and go to town until your taps fit. Just make sure your freezer door has enough space to clear the taps, that was my first fridge... couldn't open the freezer without sending a beer spray onto the floor.

Back