Queensland Amateur Brewing Competition 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The results for the 2017 Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship are in!

Champion Brewer: Ricky Schmidt - BABBS (on countback)
Champion Beer: Craig Daniels, Marzen - 46.5pts
Champion Club: RBT - Righteous Brewers of Townsville

Congratulations to all the winners!

Summary for this year’s competition can be found at

http://qabc.org.au/results/2017.html

Only beers that scored 30 points are higher are included in the summary.

Thank you to everyone who entered beers, and to all those who participated in the judging, stewarding, data entry and bottle registration. There was a record number of brewers entering, 126 and a record number of beers, 435.

A particular thanks to our sponsors who are providing great prizes and other support; Craftbrewer, Brewers Choice, Cryer Malt, Wyeast, National Homebrew, Hoppy Days Brewing Supplies and AB’s Honey.

A special thank you to the Prince Alfred Hotel at Booval who provided a fantastic venue and hospitality for the competition.

Those beers (and Ciders & Meads) which placed 1st, 2nd & 3rd qualify for the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships being held in Perth. The brewers need to send another bottle of their beer to Craftbrewer at Unit 2, 4 Christine Place, Capalaba, 4157 to arrive by Wednesday, 27th September, and must complete the individual AABC entry form and attach by rubber band to the bottle. The QABC will pay the entry fee and ship the entries to Perth.

Score sheets and prize vouchers will be mailed out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Very happy to score a 41.5 for my ESB!

Still not enough to take a place & have to be happy with 4th. [emoji481]

Anyone know why the Gold/Silver/Bronze medal ratings are not in line with BJCP? Have they changed? If so, they've changed significantly.

Very happy to score a 41.5 for my ESB!

Still not enough to take a place & have to be happy with 4th. [emoji481]

Anyone know why the Gold/Silver/Bronze medal ratings are not in line with BJCP? Have they changed? If so, they've changed significantly.

The medal ratings were changed to be in line with the AABC numbers. Not sure of the history of them changing the ratings, though...

Cheers - Snow.

So with regards to the categories and placing, it is a bit confusing. Looking at the club results there are many more first, second and third places tallied than there are actual categories. I assume this is because the categories have multiple sub-categories, for example Bitter has English Bitters, American Amber Ales, Altbiers etc. So for entry into the national comp, if a beer placed in the sub categories will it get an entry? For example, if an ESB finished second out of the ESBs but say 8th in the bitter category, does it get an entry?

So with regards to the categories and placing, it is a bit confusing. Looking at the club results there are many more first, second and third places tallied than there are actual categories. I assume this is because the categories have multiple sub-categories, for example Bitter has English Bitters, American Amber Ales, Altbiers etc. So for entry into the national comp, if a beer placed in the sub categories will it get an entry? For example, if an ESB finished second out of the ESBs but say 8th in the bitter category, does it get an entry?

I think these are just a sum of the points awarded, rather than the number of places. So 6 first points means 2 x 1st place. And so on. 20 categories with 3,2,1 points avilable means a total of 120 possible points. Of this, it looks like 84 have been attributed to clubs.

I think the only ones that go to AABC are the people with a 1, 2, or 3 against their name on the list. Sub categories all get rolled into the main category and only 3 entrants per category.

No, the points are allocated as
First place: 3 points
Second Place: 2 points
Third Place: 1 point.

As such, BABBs for example got:
two firsts = 6 points
four seconds = 8 points
two thirds = 2 points

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers - Snow.

All,

The QABC Score Sheets are now available on the QABC Competition Website http://qldbeercomp.org/qabc

Log into your account and navigate to "My Account" on the top right hand side of the page. Your list of entries are at the bottom of the page, the score sheets are in the "actions" column.

Apologies about the delay, it's a huge comp and it took me a while to sort, scan and upload over 900 score sheets!

There are a handful missing, I'll track these down shortly and upload them ASAP.

Thanks,

Colin Wright
QABC Registrar.

It looks like the website qldbeercomp.org is suspended for some reason.

Is there an alternate way to get my results?

Attachments

• qldbeercomp.org.png
    qldbeercomp.org.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 109
It looks like the website qldbeercomp.org is suspended for some reason.

Is there an alternate way to get my results?
Sorry about that - slight technical glitch.

Site is back up and running with scoresheets available.

Cheers - Snow.

Latest posts

Back