Quantumbrewer In Melbourne 8/3/2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score
G'Day Melbournites, It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be visiting Melbourne to give a colloquium at the University of Melbourne on Tuesday 8/3/2011 (sans SWMBO) departing the following day. I may have dinner plans with academics, but I'm keen to catch up with some local AHB folk (those who I haven't provoked into clicking 'ignore') for a <insert name of local beer glass size> or three afterwards (I'm a nice guy, really, and I promise not to point out any grammatical errors on the menu).

I've not toured the Melbourne craft-brew scene, so I'm up for suggestions. Anyone interested?

Cheers!

Ah, sorry - I'll be arriving that morning, having lunch with academics, giving a colloquium in the afternoon, and possibly having dinner with academics. I'm then free until my flight sometime the next morning.

I'm up for drinks any time post-dinner (possibly pre/including dinner, but we'll see) with anyone available. I'll leave it to the locals who would like to meet up to decide where might be best.

What the discussion point? Poor grammar and punctuation on beer brewing forums? :)

What the discussion point? Poor grammar and punctuation on beer brewing forums? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Its great to turn the forum on and read this tongue in cheek comment.

Have a good time QB! Try not miss the Belgian Beer Cafe next door to the Eureka Tower, Try miss the one opposite Finders St (Transport Bar?) prices are incredibly stupid. Mrs Parmas has a god array of craft beers but not such in culinary features.
Streaking a long line between Melbourne and Adelaide, but there is a tram ride down the tracks called St Kilda, the heartbeat of Melbourne, check it out!

Have a good time QB! Try not miss the Belgian Beer Cafe next door to the Eureka Tower, Try miss the one opposite Finders St (Transport Bar?) prices are incredibly stupid. Mrs Parmas has a god array of craft beers but not such in culinary features.
If the Belgian is the commercial chain, then we've got one of those here (and I've been through the menu a few times). Mrs Parmas has always piqued my interest so I'd be happy to meet up with some locals there.

If the Belgian is the commercial chain, then we've got one of those here (and I've been through the menu a few times). Mrs Parmas has always piqued my interest so I'd be happy to meet up with some locals there.
mmmm Parma'geddon :icon_drool2:

Depending on where you're staying, and what time you finish up being bored to tears by your academic peers, try and get down the Local Taphouse in St Kilda/Balaclava.

Catch the Number 3 tram from anywhere on Swanston St, going south. You want to get off at stop number 37, corner of Carlisle and Chapel Streets.

Best. Beer. Bar. In. Melbourne.

Have got a relative down from interstate that Tuesday night, but if you plan on getting to the Taphouse, I'll try and pop in for one or two.

Depending on where you're staying, and what time you finish up being bored to tears by your academic peers, try and get down the Local Taphouse in St Kilda/Balaclava.

Catch the Number 3 tram from anywhere on Swanston St, going south. You want to get off at stop number 37, corner of Carlisle and Chapel Streets.

Best. Beer. Bar. In. Melbourne.

Have got a relative down from interstate that Tuesday night, but if you plan on getting to the Taphouse, I'll try and pop in for one or two.
Could be a go'er. I'm staying at the Ibis and speaking at University of Melbourne (Physics). I should know soon whether or not I have dinner plans with academics, but even if so I'm off the hook after an early dinner.

Could be a go'er. I'm staying at the Ibis and speaking at University of Melbourne (Physics). I should know soon whether or not I have dinner plans with academics, but even if so I'm off the hook after an early dinner.

Go to Biero or penny blue if you want to stay near the CBD. Getting to St Kilda is slightly more painful, but not too bad.

Hi Quantum, will be at the Belgian Beer Cafe (along with some more brewers) for BJCP course on Tuesday night, more than happy to waste an hour talking beer before or after, 6-7pm or 10:30 - 11:30pm, otherwise many of the CBD joints should be entertaining enough for you, Parma's, Biero etc. Taphouse might be a bit far if you dont want to waste the bones of an hour of your evening travelling instead of drinking.

Warmbeer: I haven't been to Penny Blue myself, where is it located & what sort beer stocked?

Hi Quantum, will be at the Belgian Beer Cafe (along with some more brewers) for BJCP course on Tuesday night, more than happy to waste an hour talking beer before or after, 6-7pm or 10:30 - 11:30pm, otherwise many of the CBD joints should be entertaining enough for you, Parma's, Biero etc. Taphouse might be a bit far if you dont want to waste the bones of an hour of your evening travelling instead of drinking.

Warmbeer: I haven't been to Penny Blue myself, where is it located & what sort beer stocked?
this will tell you enough to get you there with reason.

PennyBlue

Penny Blue
2 Driver Lane
Melb CBD

It basically in the lane on the corner of little bourke and elizabeth st's.

What beer do they sell? Just go there and find out trust me you will NOT be dissapointed. They have a handpump there too.

Say hi to Dave, he's an absolute champion.

Penny Blue
2 Driver Lane
Melb CBD

It basically in the lane on the corner of little bourke and elizabeth st's.

What beer do they sell? Just go there and find out trust me you will NOT be dissapointed. They have a handpump there too.

Say hi to Dave, he's an absolute champion.

Cheers Maple & Fents, a pretty nice selection, reminds me of Cookies beer list (on Swanston Street which is also an asian restaurant if you're hungry Mr Q)

http://www.charlesdickenstavern.com.au

Little pub on collins street that has 4 handpumps.
English commercial beers on tap. newcy brown, Tetleys, old speckled hen and something else.
Are they actually handpumps and not force carbonated beer served as normal through a beer tap that looks like a handpump?
I'm no expert on the matter, but neither was the bartender when I asked that question, (or he did not understand what I was getting at) when he told me that the kegs are stored, refrigerated and served the same as every other beer in the bar.

Decent range there at Penny Blue, but those prices are less than impressive.

Mrs Parmas looks to be the way to go (and on the same street as the hotel - just the other end of town).

8:00 should give me enough time to get there after dinner (or for dinner, if it ends up that way). If you're keen, available, and able to get there, I'll see you there. :beer: Cheers!

Mrs P's is a tried and true staple
Otherwise if ur going to be here on Wednesday then $5pints at biero are the go.

Will see what I can arrange to come for a drink

Edit: bugger just read ur heading off on Wednesday. That sucks.

I should probably identify myself - grey suit, blue shirt, nose halfway into a glass of beer.

If anyone's around Mrs P's around 8 onwards, please drop in and say hi, even if you're not available for a beer yourself.

Cheers!

Give us a report on beers when you get back QB, I will be there for a week in June.
Nige

Back