Pronunciation Torment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Thinking of making a fruit beer after the scheduled next few are out of the way - along the lines of a framboise or a kreik. And I got to thinking "What the hell is the correct pronounciation of Lambic"?

I have heard it spoken, perhaps a true Aussie inflection, as 'Lamb' (as in sheep) 'Bic" (as in cigarette lighter)

However i seem to recall the more credible source of MJ's old documentary where he refers to it as "Lohm" (rhymes with Tom) "Beak" (rhymes with speak).

This is something that I'm sure to lose sleep over, and it must be resolved before i start making the style, or it will certainly turn to vinegared toilet water in revolt of my inexcusable faux-pas if I'm unable to tell all the dis-interesed people around me about the strain in the correct manner. :p

Happy Wednesday to all. Here's to focusing on the important things in life. :icon_cheers:

Well, I thought it was originally Dutch so its more "lem-beak". The French/Belgians probably Frenchied it to "lohm-bik". I used to care about these things until I really thought about it...

How many non-English speaking people call our great country "Australia", and how many pronounce it "Orrrrrrrrr-strayyyyyyyy-ya" like we do?

In summary, your faux-pas ("forks-pass") is acceptable in my books.

I'm Dutch, and Lambic is not Dutch.
It's Belgian French, so the last of citymorgue2's options seems to be the nearest correct option, i.e. Lom Bick

Wow, I was sorta close but wrong!... According to wikipedia (highly reputable source!) it was named after a Dutch town, Lembeek.

It definitely isn't pronounced "Lamb"+"Bick"

I often come across the same dilemma though:

Should I a) knowingly pronounce a foreign word badly the way it is actually spelled, thereby increasing the chance of people in my circle of friends recognising what I am talking about

or B) does one pronounce the word correctly, thereby increasing the chance of appearing a pretentious wanker? :D

a) knowingly pronounce a foreign word badly the way it is actually spelled, thereby increasing the chance of people in my circle of friends recognising what I am talking about

Last year at the ANHC we had 200 + brewers there and if you pronounced it "lamb - bick" everyone knew what you were talking about. This is Orrrrrrrrr-strayyyyyyyy-ya, the damn best little country south of Lapland and we can pronounce those foreign words anyway we want .

So I'll pronounce Lambic as "crap shitty beer that tastes off"

:icon_cheers:

or B) does one pronounce the word correctly, thereby increasing the chance of appearing a pretentious wanker?

This thread is clearly a "No Pretentious Wanking Allowed" thread. :lol:

This thread is clearly a "No Pretentious Wanking Allowed" thread. :lol:

It really isn't, mate. The opening post was a discussion-opener thrown amongst fellow brewers. You failed to observe the self-depreciating sarcasm in the last paragraphs if you consider it a pretentious question.

But can you tell me how to bottle a draught beer ?

Back