Powering My Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logman

The most interesting man on AHB
Reaction score
I've got a March Pump and Tempmate that I need to get power to. The March Pump has no switch at this stage - I don't want to have a power board exposed and use the switch on that. They have these switches at Bunnings, just wondering if anyone knows if these can be wired up by chopping the end off an extension cord or not?

2chmk4i.jpg

I'm not looking to start my electrical career BTW :D , just want to buy the bits and ask someone to stick it together, but don't want to get the wrong stuff...

It looks suitable. You will just need to add a 3 pronged plug to the March pump.

Cool thanks. Yeah my pump has a plug on it so I just need something to plug it into and the tempmate. But I want separate switches so that the pump can be turned on and off. These looked good as they are for outdoors - I just don't like the idea of turning a Power Board on and off....

As your not doing it yourself, ask the sparky to get two 56C310 IP66 rated wall outlets and two 56P310 plugs. If they're installed correctly they're dust tight and water tight for water jets of 100 l/m at 100kpa. Sure, they'll cost a little more, but its good gear.

Myself I would get my mate electrician to wire it up with these

Box
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;form=KEYWORD
or what ever size box looks good on the day, if you want your temp mate in it then you need a bigger one, Jaycar has many sizes

Cable glands
To suit the diameter of the extension cord

Switch

And just cut an extension cord in half and wire it in.
An idea for how to wire is on my web site (ref sig) under Temp Controlling, but your sparky mate will know how :icon_cheers:
It's hard to see in the pic, but the temp controller output is switched using the first switch, the second one is just switching the supply for the pump. Even lights up when the power is on.

QldKev

i would be going for waterproof switching on the brewstand

wet hands / lots of water etc
just in case you trip the power in the middle of something important.

Could be worth looking at, just don't know anyone who has gone that way; but probably is a good idea if you want to use it with wet hands.

ps. Which ones are your thinking off?

QldKev

Just got back from being out all arvo so I missed the last few posts before leaving. I got the thing in the OP and a 5m extension cord, looks like it should work OK.

Pretty annoying how short those cords are on the March Pump, what do they expect you to be able to do with that short ass thing :angry: .

I hadn't seen that post on your site before doing my tempmate Kev, probably would have done that with a switch if I had. I used the instructions on your site to order a bike motor and connect it to my MM2 though :icon_cheers:

Getting close to finishing my rig!!

So the electrician gave that the thumbs down and that went back to Bunnings ;) .

I went to Jaycar and got what QldKev suggested, should be able to manage a DIY there. For that switch, do I need to just match up the three colors on either side? I assume it doesn't matter which color is 1,2 or 3 on the switch?

Now you're scaring me. You only switching one wire. Active in on 2, out on 1 or 3. Without checking with a meter, I couldn't tell you which is normally off. It's a Double pole double throw (DPDT) which is two switch mechs in one housing. Each side is separate from the other. Go see your sparky mate.
Edit: You say you have it sorted.

Now you're scaring me. You only switching one wire. Active in on 2, out on 1 or 3. Without checking with a meter, I couldn't tell you which is normally off. It's a Double pole double throw (DPDT) which is two switch mechs in one housing. Each side is separate from the other. Go see your sparky mate.
Edit: You say you have it sorted.

The switch above is designed to switch both the active and neutral.

QldKev

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you bro :D. There is no way I'd trust myself to do something without showing someone IRL before using it, not keen to fry myself. I figure I can do the manual labor or most of it to save the guy I take it to having to do it.

Latest posts

Back