Photographic Project - Men and their Mash Paddles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmud

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I'm currently studying photography at Photography Studies College in Melbourne, and I'd like to take environmental portraits of brewers for one of my folios this semester. If you're not familiar with the term "environmental portrait", it's a portrait that is executed in the subject's usual working/living/playing environment for the purpose of drawing attention to that aspect of their life. So a mechanic in a workshop, a chef in a kitchen - that kind of thing. A working title for the series is "men and their mash paddles" (Though I intend to shoot at least one lady brewer, so the men thing is titular only), and I want to depict the passion and craft that everyone on this forum realises is typical of the brewing community.

So I'm looking for brewers who'd be happy to have a photo (well, several) taken of them in their brewery over the next month or so. It doesn't have to be on a brew-day, although hopefully at least some will coincide. I don't mind a bit of a drive, but hopefully you'll be within 50km of Melbourne. I'd like a variety of breweries to appear in the series, from the very blingy to the very ghetto, but it is the brewer who will be the focus/subject of the photo (that doesn't mean you need to be an oil painting obviously).

The series is primarily for submission as an assignment at PSC, though I won't rule out submission to online and/or print publications, though it's a near certainty that I won't make any money from it.

What's in it for you?

- An opportunity to support the arts and show off your mug/rig.
- High res copies of images from the day, and potentially a professional print (I have to print at least one series this semester - am yet to decide which one).

If you're interested in helping out, I would be much obliged - shoot me a PM and we can sort out the finer details

Sounds like a great idea Phil! I can imagine some really neat photos coming out of this! I'd be more than happy to get involved if you need

Happy to get on board also, will be brewing on sat arvo/evening.

Yes brewing Saturday morning in Bundoora happy to be involved

would love to see the end work; it sounds amazing. i'd offer but i'm sydney. good luck with it all :)

Yeah you can count me in too. Pretty local for you so let me know.

Probably wont get a brew on this week (or next) but I will be itching for one after that! My rig (BiAB, ladders, 2x4) is definitely pretty ghetto.

If you want to haul arse out to Cranbourne I could probably fill the ghetto requirement (both in gear and location...)

Assuming the title is some sort of euphemism, count me in!

Err you ruined the surprise, Bum.

Chuffed at the response guys, I was worried it'd be like that time I tried to start a slow clap.

You'll all have a PM within a few minutes, I'll probably need to base who/where I shoot on logistics first up, but would eventually like to shoot everyone (in context).

AHB calendar BB?

Each state can have their own calendar and the winners (favourite photos as voted by the users) put into the 'best of ahb' as a nation-wide calendar.

What better way to look up your monthly activities then by staring at a homebrewer with his/her trusty mash paddle?

Most probably NSFW...

I am seeing a calender of naked brewers with brew gear strategically positoned to hide the rude bits....

It's title would be "Mash Tun Boys"

Immediatley that terrible 80's song West End Boys came to mind - I started to edit the lyrics to something humourously HB related but lost interested

I know you singing it in your head right now......MASH TUN BOYS.....

Come to QLD, you now have a great excuse for a holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screwy

manticle said:
I'd consider it but I usually brew tadger out.
Of course, How else would you know when you've hit your boil?

I do know a lady brewer and am keen to shoot her, but would love another, or two - obviously a very male dominated hobby, but hopefully that's changing.

Back