PET bottle bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoo4u

Reaction score
Well I didn't think they did - explode, that is - but obviously they do!

My No. 1 swap beer for the 2016 Qld Christmas Swap next week was bottled first week in October. When I left for holidays mid November, all was well. Got back home two days ago, and found the casings of two bottle bombs in one of the cartons.

They were in an enclosed area of the corrugated iron car shed/brew shed, and here in SE Qld, our house-sitter tells me there was a 10 day period of very hot weather which only moderated mid week. I'm guessing the heat was just too much, and built up pressure to bursting point. Pic below:

Then I found another of the bottles had been attacked, such that it released it's pressure, so I'm guessing (again) that the smell of the Julebryg all over the bottom of the carton attracted the attacker! Pic below:

So down three bottles, which leaves 23. Barring any more dramas, that'll just be enough...

The PET bottles which blew were from the July swap, so I wonder if they had maybe been weakened in the past by high pressure. Also, because they remained intact for at least 6 weeks after bottling (until I went away), I don't think the failures were due to overpriming or premature bottling, but comments very welcome.

First this.jpg then this.jpg

Any vessel, even a stainless keg, can explode if the pressure inside is greater than it is capable of holding.

Could be a number of things and sharp, exploding plastic can still hurt eyes and cut skin so be careful with yourself, your family and your swap mates.

I had some PET bottles get stretch marks in the bottom during a heatwave last summer. At the time I out it down to maybe not cleaning as thoroughly that batch. Have a look at the bottom of the bottles as they always seem to develop cracked looking lines around the bubbles. Do you have a way of refrigerating the remaining 23 just to be safe?

LAGERFRENZY said:
Do you have a way of refrigerating the remaining 23 just to be safe?
Yeah, I can mix work with pleasure and put 'em in the insulated olive oil storage facility, where they should stay fairly cool and constant, and safe from gnawing, clawing, chewing things too. ;)

If you can get them cold first it might be worth doing a bit of a pressure test - partly releasing the seal of the lids just to check if they are way over-carbed or not. Its easier and safer to do when they are cold. My stretched lot last year were all gushers when opened warm but less so after a couple of days of chilling.

Latest posts

Back