Pale Ale (im After Some Recipe Advice Ag)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tao

Reaction score
Recipe:

Batch Size: 18.93 L

Boil Size: 22.71 L

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 14.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 93.02 %

0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.49 %

0.15 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 3.49 %

10.68 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.7 IBU

16.90 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 8.1 IBU

16.90 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 4.30 kg

----------------------------

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time Name Description Step Temp

60 min Mash In Add 11.21 L of water at 76.5 C 67.8 C

Im not after an overly bitter beer just something thats crisp and fresh to drink over summer. Any thoughts?

Recipe looking good I might look at dropping you mash temp down to 65 so it will give you a lower FG and drier finish but otherwise looks all good

Agree on dropping the mash temp if you like a drier finish. S04 will attenuate quite well, anyway, even if you mash a little higher.
However, it looks like you are trying to produce an english pale ale, and mashing at around 67 or 68C would give you the more typical body of those ales.
I personally like the colour of my pale ales (english or american) to have some more colour than what you plan, and usually add about 50 gr of chocolate malt, and also some amber malt. I aim for about 19 to 20 EBC. You might consider adding about 30 to 40 gr to your recipe, and it should also give you some added complexity.
Looks good otherwise. Good luck.

English pale ale is what Im after but I think Ill take your advice and add some amber malt to make it a little darker. Thanks for the advice.

English pale ale is what I'm after but I think I'll take your advice and add some amber malt to make it a little darker. Thanks for the advice.

I'll second that on the Amber malt, I use a bit Of Joe White Amber in pales to add a bit of colour

Back