Palate Education - Munich Dark Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsy_mcstagger

Reaction score
Was down at the Sail & Anchor, favourite pub in Perth at the moment, and gave their Deneb - Munich Dark Lager a go. I would assume this shoul be a bock, but I dont reckon it has enough body for a bock, good drop either way. I reckon there was a nice toasty bitterness first off, mellowing to a nice lingering raisan? flavour. No appreciable hop flavour noticable.

Anyway, the point of this post is what grain/malt produces these flavours, is the toasty flavour produced by chocolate malt or black malt and is the raisin flavour produced by crystal malt or Munich Malt?

Anyone developed a clone recipe for this Beer.

Tipsy.

Was down at the Sail & Anchor, favourite pub in Perth at the moment, and gave their Deneb - Munich Dark Lager a go. I would assume this shoul be a bock, but I dont reckon it has enough body for a bock, good drop either way. I reckon there was a nice toasty bitterness first off, mellowing to a nice lingering raisan? flavour. No appreciable hop flavour noticable.

Anyway, the point of this post is what grain/malt produces these flavours, is the toasty flavour produced by chocolate malt or black malt and is the raisin flavour produced by crystal malt or Munich Malt?

Anyone developed a clone recipe for this Beer.

Tipsy.

TM,

This sounds like a nice drop along the lines of a Munich Dunkel (=Dark)

You might find any of the above malts in the beer, except the black malt, which I doubt they would use, definitely not if it's authentic. There shouldn't be much hop flavour in the style, as you reported. Do not confuse it with a Bock, its nowhere near that strong.

cheers, BB

forgot to say about the colour, a deep copper colour, so I was assuming they wouldnt put too much dark grian in, if any.

Tipsy,

Brewed this one 2 weeks ago. About ready to rack. Looking at hydro sample now, and it's a "deep copper colour". I wanted to brew this with 100% Munich 2, but only had 6kg, so subbed with other grains.
Munich malt can definately develop a raiseny flavour over time.
Picture.jpg
Batch Size: 30.00 L
Boil Size: 40.55 L
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Munich Malt 2 (10.0 SRM) Grain 84.5 %
0.50 kg Caramunich Malt (45.0 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.50 kg Vienna Malt (4.5 SRM) Grain 7.0 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
28.00 gm Tettnanger [4.70%] (60 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.20%] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.20%] (30 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.20%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [Starter 5000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 24.9 IBU
Est Color: 17.5 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Single Total Grain Weight: 7.10 kg
Sparge Water: 20.47 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 21.30 L of water at 61.6 C 55.0 C 45 min
Saccharification Decoct 8.16 L of mash and boil it 68.3 C 45 min
Mash Out Add 7.89 L of water at 99.7 C 75.6 C 10 min

Just realised an Alt uses an Ale yeast. Is that the only difference?

The raisan etc is ussually from the crystal malts, ALTs don't have that flavour but like dunkels they are mostly made up of munich malts. The choc flavours can be picked in a dunkel aswell but not in a ALT.
Dunkel is a much richer beer and basically use similar recipes to a bock in lots of ways but around the same gravity as a ALT.

Jayse

Thanks for all the input, getting the picture. Still have a long way to go to recognise the different flavours in the beers I taste.

With the chocolate malt, how does the flavour differ to Chocolate Wheat Malt?