Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
sank a couple of rogers for the first tine last night, where the f@#%^ have i been? yum!
anyways i got to thinking i love the colour of this stuff and would like to brew my pacific ale recipe
but with the rogers colour. the below recipe normally only has 100gm carared so i cut back the base malt and increased it to 300 and increased ibu to allow for more balance.
i want to try 500gm of carared but not sure if it will change the sweetness too much.
or i will add the briess ultrablack colour (big thanks to bribie g).
any clues as to the ebc of rogers?

pacific ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.800
Total Hops (g): 68.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 5.7 (EBC): 11.2 (probably need double this?)
Bitterness (IBU): 26.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 70

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (72.92%)
0.800 kg Wheat Malt (16.67%)
0.300 kg Carared (6.25%)
0.200 kg Flaked Rice (4.17%)

Hop Bill
----------------
28.0 g Galaxy Leaf (12.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
20.0 g Galaxy Leaf (12.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Galaxy Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
us05 or notto

A small amount of roast barley might help. 1% or so. I did an irish red with 15% carared, and it wasn't that dark in colour.

sank a couple of rogers for the first tine last night, where the f@#%^ have i been? yum!

where the fu@k have i been also, just grabbed a slab at Dans this morning and drinking my first now :icon_drunk:

500gm of carared will definitely give you some colour but i wouldn't go that much personally, maybe stick with the 300gm and some carafa ll for colour, i'm no expert but there is some choc in there somewhere, so maybe a bit of chocolate malt ?

Yard

where the fu@k have i been also, just grabbed a slab at Dans this morning and drinking my first now :icon_drunk:

500gm of carared will definitely give you some colour but i wouldn't go that much personally, maybe stick with the 300gm and some carafa ll for colour, i'm no expert but there is some choc in there somewhere, so maybe a bit of chocolate malt ?

Yard
gone with 300gm and some briess black fron bribie g.
shit i so want to get a good recipe for this rogers.
when i poured it in the glass i thought wow, this is gonna be a strong ale but my taste buds were in heaven. have a few for me yardy :icon_chickcheers:

certainly will keep on rogering mate, just peeling some banana prawns and marinating some t-bones for a barby this arvo, let us know how the recipe goes :icon_cheers:

certainly will keep on rogering mate, just peeling some banana prawns and marinating some t-bones for a barby this arvo, let us know how the recipe goes :icon_cheers:
:icon_drunk: roger wilco

Back