Oxyturbo Aeration Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask for the trade price when buying a new 02 bottle.....$49.00 trade at Reece in my town

Thanks to this thread, I've finished putting together my o2 kit. I'll just leave my experiences of this behind.
Parts list:
  • tesuco oxyturbo gas regulator (ots200RO) - Reece $21.01
  • tesuco oxygen cylinder 1LT - Reece $52.36
  • bush reducing brass 15mm x 10mm (3/8" female to 1/2" male reducer) - Reece $2.26
  • 1M 6mm pvc hose - grain and grape $2.10
  • 0.5 micron aeration stone - grain and grape $19.95
  • stainless hosetail 1/2" bsp female thread to 9mm - grain and grape $12.50
  • LZQ-2, 0-3LPM oxygen flow meter - ebay $17
  • teflon tape
Total: $127.18
Pictures

The bush reducing brass is handy as it gives you more options by adapting the regulator to 1/2" bsp. I was thinking of going all jg fittings to beer line but it would be a pain to fit the aeration stone and luckily the flow meter is an exact fit for the pvc pipe. The only downside is that the connection from the hosetail to pvc hose isn't the most sturdy, but it still does the job. The flow meter works really well. Turn the gas on full and the dial on the flow meter can hold the gas back until you release it to your required LPM.

I started cobbling mine together today, and also got the regulator for the bargain price of ~$21, not the ~$75 people were being charged previously. Reece didn't have the oxygen regulator in stock and were 90% of the way through organising to order in when they spied their one and only oxyturbo 2000 set, and opened it up to give me the reg from that set.

I've been looking into starting to oxygenate my wort, just wondering how long will a litre bottle last

recoginition should go to MHB for the original idea and design.

I was actually going to buy from MHB just to save me from having to run around for all the pieces despite it not being exactly what I wanted (wanted 0.5 aeration stone and flow meter). Sent a message to start the purchase process and still haven't received a reply.

These kits have been around for years in differing parts list, I had one 10 years ago.
I must say I dont pitch without oxygenation unless I forget.
Nev

professional_drunk said:
I was actually going to buy from MHB just to save me from having to run around for all the pieces despite it not being exactly what I wanted (wanted 0.5 aeration stone and flow meter). Sent a message to start the purchase process and still haven't received a reply.
Same experience here, in fact mine went through the website as an order, but no follow up. My laziness can only be relied on for so long before I go plan B.

luggy said:
I've been looking into starting to oxygenate my wort, just wondering how long will a litre bottle last
The bottles contain ~100 litres of oxygen, so if you are accurately adding 1L/min for one minute per brew, then in theory around 100 batches, however this will come down if you are running the gas before and after the brew to sanitise the stone.

Thanks for that I'll add it to the wish list

professional_drunk said:
Bernz - 40g $33 (that figure seems low, is that right?)
Oxyturbo - 930g $50
The Benzomatic ones I have are 59g for about $30 at Masters.

professional_drunk said:
Thanks to this thread, I've finished putting together my o2 kit. I'll just leave my experiences of this behind.
Parts list:
  • tesuco oxyturbo gas regulator (ots200RO) - Reece $21.01
  • tesuco oxygen cylinder 1LT - Reece $52.36
  • bush reducing brass 15mm x 10mm (3/8" female to 1/2" male reducer) - Reece $2.26
  • 1M 6mm pvc hose - grain and grape $2.10
  • 0.5 micron aeration stone - grain and grape $19.95
  • stainless hosetail 1/2" bsp female thread to 9mm - grain and grape $12.50
  • LZQ-2, 0-3LPM oxygen flow meter - ebay $17
  • teflon tape
Total: $127.18
Pictures

The bush reducing brass is handy as it gives you more options by adapting the regulator to 1/2" bsp. I was thinking of going all jg fittings to beer line but it would be a pain to fit the aeration stone and luckily the flow meter is an exact fit for the pvc pipe. The only downside is that the connection from the hosetail to pvc hose isn't the most sturdy, but it still does the job. The flow meter works really well. Turn the gas on full and the dial on the flow meter can hold the gas back until you release it to your required LPM.

Looks the go, I think I'll do the same.

Batz

Someone who is actually using the Tesuco bottles with a flow meter, can I ask how many brews do you get from a bottle?

Cheers Batz

Batz said:
Someone who is actually using the Tesuco bottles with a flow meter, can I ask how many brews do you get from a bottle?

Cheers Batz
Ive got the benzomatic and used it for about 12 maybe 14 brews without my notes in front of me. Still going from the same bottle. So to answer your question, LOTS.

The build above has the added advantage of the flow meter. Something to think about for more consistency. I have been winging it with my benzo and hitting the predicted attenuation every time with a really good ferment time (4-5 days in most cases)

Midnight Brew said:
Ive got the benzomatic and used it for about 12 maybe 14 brews without my notes in front of me. Still going from the same bottle. So to answer your question, LOTS.

The build above has the added advantage of the flow meter. Something to think about for more consistency. I have been winging it with my benzo and hitting the predicted attenuation every time with a really good ferment time (4-5 days in most cases)
Thanks M.B.
Sounds like they are cost effective then.

The Bernzomatic bottles contain 40g oxygen which is 1.25 mol of oxygen gas. According to the Ideal Gas Law 1.25 mol of oxygen gas will have a volume of 28L. White and Zainasheff recommend injecting pure oxygen at 1L per minute for 1 minute for a 20L average gravity ale batch (i.e. 1L oxygen gas), which means in theory you could get 28 batches. That is little more than my real world experience though and doesn't account for wastage such as leaving the gas on whilst you clean the airstone. I highly recommend using a flow meter because it will save you money in the long run (and possibly in the short tens also) by ensuring you are not wasting oxygen: my first bottle only lasted about 6 batches before I got the flow meter. Someone may wish to check my calcs. If the oxyturbo contains 930 grams it should last years I would have thought (assuming no leaks)

EDIT: If Oxyturbo contains 146g oxygen that will in theory do 100 plus batches.

Oxyturbo is I think 146g, the 930g perhaps is the total weight of the cylinder.

Using an oxyturbo bottle and a little flow meter giving each batch about a minute at 1L per minute I'm upto 70ish batches (bottles at home so I'd have to double check how many notches I've put on it). Regulator shows it should be getting close to dead. So far it seems about $1 a batch, maybe cheaper by the time it dies.

Latest posts

Back