one or two packs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoppy2B said:
I tend to make a starter, even with dry yeast, and have been ever since I started beer making. Pitch rate isn't really an issue for me.
:blink: What despite even the manufacturers saying its actually detrimental to yeast health? WTF do they know eh?

hoppy2B said:
What the hell is your problem? Mind your own business and give people whatever advice you wish and stop your trolling and criticism. I am fed up with the crap from the likes of Yob and yourself
stop giving shit advice then and you'll find a significant decrease in the criticism

or

back up your tripe with sound evidence and I'll eat my words and apologize.

MODERATION:

Members here are welcome to post their opinions. Please keep them related to the topic at hand.

Yob said:
:blink: What despite even the manufacturers saying its actually detrimental to yeast health? WTF do they know eh?

Now you're just making stuff up. And there are a lot of things the manufacturers say that are complete and utter nonsense.

You cannot be serious.. That has got to the biggest troll of the effing year..

How big are the starters you do with dry yeast may I ask?

Yob said:
You cannot be serious.. That has got to the biggest troll of the effing year..

How big are the starters you do with dry yeast may I ask?
No I'm not trolling, I am discussing a particular point.

My starter size varies form 1 to 2 litres nowadays.

guys i don't want to clean this thread so lets keep this on topic. last warning to all parties.
antidotal is fine but not always the best info saying that published isn't ether as most time you can find something that contradicts. so ether leave it at that or keep personally attacking people and then you will really have something to whinge about when i step in with a big stick.
most of this will disappear and no one will like what i have to say about it.

Lukasfab, this discussion raises it's head quite often. It normally opens a can of worms which quickly turns into a shitstorm. For me personally I am lazy and will push best practice to it's very limit but what i have learnt over the years is to have your yeast happy and healthy if your about to give it a feast, otherwise it will be a smelly lazy turd. You will end up with a reasonable beer with one pack into 1.068 wort but it will not be as good as it could have been. When I am making a big beer I have two options, sprinkle in 2 packets or (because I am also a tight arse) brew a smaller beer first then use a cup or so of that yeast cake.
Some of the faults I have detected in some of my beers are due to my laziness with yeast, the most common being a soapy note due to the yeast stressing out which is more noticeable in less malty/hoppy beers. I have also found that when I feel i might be over pitching it is better to drop the ferment temp and that helps but I would not raise the temp if I thought I was under pitching.
There are also those that are concerned with the dead yeast cell count when using yeast cake.

What was the question again.

Back