Old Specled Hen -boil Size & Fermentation Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for recipe comparison, here is my version of this beer as posted in another thread.
Cheers
Nige

Bribie,
Old Speckled Hen (adapted from recipe in Clone Brews)
84% Pale Malt(Perle would work nicely)
2.5% Wheat
8% Pale Crysal
5.5% Sugaz

Challenger at 60mins to 25IBU
1/2 gm/l EKG at 15mins
1/2 gm/l Challenger at 15mins
1 gm/l EKG at 1min.

OG 1.050
IBU 37
Mash @ 66 for 90mins

Your 1968 would be good or WLP002, WLP013

Cheers
Nige

Edit:- I notice 10IBU difference, Ive got a commercial OSH in the fridge at the moment, will warm it and drink later to see where I think it stands.

Excellent. Thanks, Nige.

Or I could ask if anyone has brewed an OSH clone that they are happy with amongst a group of homebrew enthusiasts and if they might be able to advise me how to do so.

Now where might I find such a group of people?

That's a good question and I like an answer to a good question!

For me, at any rate, trying to seek out the optimum recipe is perhaps fraught with danger. Just like trying to find the perfect woman. You never will!

If I waited until I found what I thought was a highly regarded ( the perfect/optimum recipe) I would probably never brew. Even If I thought I had their are variables such as equipment, methodology & competency that would probably result in somewhat different results. Oh well it is an imperfect world!

Cheers
dalpets

Cool story, dalpets.

This is the recipe i have for OSH, from Graham Wheeler's 'Brew your own real ale at home'.

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 81.40 %
0.30 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (170.0 EBC) Grain 6.98 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (800.0 EBC) Grain 1.16 %
30.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.45 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 10.47 %

WY1028

20L
OG 1.050
IBU 32
EBC 26

Graham lists black malt which i have subbed for choc malt. Most people would use tate and lyles golden syrup instead of sugar.

So you look to be about 15 IBU over.

This is the recipe i have for OSH, from Graham Wheeler's 'Brew your own real ale at home'.

So you look to be about 15 IBU over.

Given I have all the ingredients and that the grain I have, in particular, is somewhat older than I would like, do you have a suggestion to reduce the IBU's using my recipe with minimal changes.

Thanks

Has anyone got a kits n bits recipe for OSH?

I have justb gone halves with my SWMBO in an MG and of course I need to make the OSH to go with it.

I thought perhaps start with a Mungtons Yorkshire Bitter and hop the hell out of it with Goldings.

Use less hops for bittering?

Just an alternative opinion, leave the hop amounts and reduce the boil time???

Moer flavour, less bittering. It's how I make beer. ( empahsis on the I )

Back