Oban Distillary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Hay guys, I know this is a beer forum but damn this was impressive,

Ive just been on the Oban Whisky Distillery tour (edit West Scotland) and to see a 26000Lt fermenter was quite impressive, sory no photo's were allowed, they use a 1 lt liquid yeast starer and it fements out in only 4 days... they produce 1 million bottles a year and lose 2% from the hogs head barrels every year for the 14 years they are aged, the loss is called "the angels share". ans are taxed 3000 for every barrel they produce, barrels produce 10000 worth of bottled whisky.

got to sample some of their 52% runnings (final product is 42%)

Cheers
:icon_drool2:

A beautiful distillery in a breathtaking part of the world.......and a mighty fine drop to boot. If I have the choice I prefer Laguvelin, but if your buying....

26000L ferment : 1L starter

23L beer ferment : 1mL starter?

Those yeasties are amazing things

There's a whole thread on single malts somehwere so there's definitely some whisky fanciers on this forum. The beginning process is very similar too.

Oban is a nice drop - keen to get to Scotland one day and do a bit of a whisky tour. Hope you get to Bunnahaibhain and Lagavulin

sorry should have read 1% starter so this would equal 260Lt, almost nil lag time from what the lad said so must be a very active starter indeed, the place has 4 fermenters (almost continuously in use too) and 2 stills, I can highly recomend a tour of this joint if anyone passes through here.. is 7 for the tour but they give you a blending glass that you sample from which are sold in the shops for 6 so all in all a damn fine deal..

Spelt Oban too not Obann

cheers
:icon_cheers:

A beautiful part of the world - could live there.

Rented a cottage for a couple of weeks over Christmas in Dalmally (30min drive inland) several years ago. The Oban Distillery was v interesting - and Oban generally is a great spot.

Another distillery worth visiting is Highland Park on the Orkney Islands, which is a very rough, 1 hour boat ride off the north coast of Scotland. It seems that the wind never stops blowing but the distillery is well worth a visit, as is the islands.

I was in Oban earlier this year, but the distillery was closed so I couldnt do the tour Sounds a shame I missed it.

It is a beautiful little town Does anyone know what the coliseum on the hill is?

The only tour I managed to get in was Bladnoch, every other distillery I went to was closed or under refurbishment when I was over there. :(

I was in Oban earlier this year, but the distillery was closed so I couldnt do the tour Sounds a shame I missed it.

It is a beautiful little town Does anyone know what the coliseum on the hill is?

It was built by some Victorian guy (not a Mexican :D ) as some sort of family monument. Linky

Nice place but too many midgies in summer.

Edit - too slow

The story goes that the structure was to house sculptures in the arches, commissioned to local scottish artists, the building itself was intended as an art gallery but moreover it was during a time of depresion in the area and he as a merchant banker of some considerable wealth and wanted to provide work for local stone masons etc,

so here we have a guy who really wants to help his local community, very admirable, however following his death his family thought, bollocks to that, we friggin' hate art... and just split his estate up and spent it on beer and hookers...

..the hookers bit may well be a complete fabrication on my part, but whatever the case, the family had no interest in helping others and split his fortune amoungst themselvs... it stands now as it did at the time of his death, the tower is affectionatly knows as "Craig's Folly"

I havnt read the full wikkipedia article yet but I believe the above to be true...

Back