O-ring Replacement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just put a couple of brews on for the first time in a while and checked out an old fermentor that's been outside too long and got a bit scrappy. As I was cleaning it out I decided the tap, grommet and airlock were too far gone and I'm going to replace them.
Thought I would check out the O-ring on top and it was cracking up dropping little specks everywhere, so it's gone too I think but the lid and fermenter are fine now.
Just been checking round for how I can replace the O-Ring from the lid? I can't find them anywhere, I tried on craftbrew0r (do they post to NSW?) and couldn't find one for lids.
Where do you guys source the lid o-rings when you need to replace them?
Cheers

I found one at my LHBS and using it for the first time this brew. There are a lot of different sizes and thicknesses so be sure to get a match. I replaced mine after finding that these things actually retain fluid. I squeezed my old one and a smelly liquid came from it so I turfed it. I'm actually thinking about going the glad wrap route after this one is stuffed, probably a better option.

You don't reallt need to use the lid o-ring at all, just screw the lid on without it you'll be fine.

Ok, thanks for the help :)
I will try a combo of the glad wrap (with a pin-hole poked in it) with the nO-ringed lid on top..
That saves me a few $ I guess, still have to get the bloody tap, airlock and grommet though! <_<
Cheers

I will try a combo of the glad wrap (with a pin-hole poked in it) with the nO-ringed lid on top..
That saves me a few $ I guess, still have to get the bloody tap, airlock and grommet though! <_<
Cheers

You wont need an airlock or grommet with the gladwrap and you can always screw a bung in the fermenter and siphon if you don't want a tap.

You wont need an airlock or grommet with the gladwrap and you can always screw a bung in the fermenter and siphon if you don't want a tap.

or pay $2 from the big green shed for another tap.

Cheers

try the glad wrap and get yourself some elastic or a big rubber band, just to keep the wrap in place. no need for airlock/grommet etc. plus you can see inside
as for the taps drop into bunnings, they've got heaps of em in the same place as the water drums/ferementers

Back