No Preservatives, No Hangover?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the cascade brewery the other day and noticed all there fermenters at 17degc. Clean ALE strain of yeast I think...

Well, Cascade does brew several beers that they refer to as Ales, and some of them actually are, but for the most part even they are brewed with Lager (bottom fermenting) yeast. But the temperature does sound about right, depending on the stage of fermentation they were at.

paul, i used to do the similar flip/flop between beers before "seeing the light" as a homebrewer. 6 months on New, then couldnt stand it, then 6 months on Vb then it became totally unpalatable, then back again (or draught or whatever...)

huh bizzaro hey?

havent had that problem either since the switch, but then again my tastes are very broad now...... ;)

off topic, this was my response from gabe gressie, one of the head brewers from cascade in reference to his homebrew kit yeast

"The yeast supplied is a pure yeast isolate originating from Bavaria. The strain was chosen for its superior taste unfortunately it is much slower than all the others, we really wanted to provide our consumers with a top class brew and that can only be achieved by slowing the fermentation down. Sadly this is not always appreciated/understood and some people bottle before they get a steady hydrometer reading resulting in bottles exploding. We don't use this yeast in our fermentations because we have our own unique mixture which consists of 4 different strains. A very difficult yeast to maintain."

not definative about lager or ale so dont know how much that contributes but... meh :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back