No Airlock Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butters,

I'm on dial up unfortunately and I hope you posted before you read my edit.

By the time I saw this thread appropriate responses had been given to the OP.

You've been one of the most generous advisors for all levels of brewers... but if you find yourself giving sarcastic responses
to newbies it might be time.....

Cheers,
smudge

OK, I've had it.....how many posts have I put up trying to help others....what do I get from that? Grief, nothing more.
Bugger it, I'm done.

No more questions answered by Butters. Done. Finished.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your first post made me laugh.

Plenty of newbies like me around here to help the next newbie, can't have too much humour in this world.

Don't worry about it Butters :)

Cheers

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your first post made me laugh.

Plenty of newbies like me around here to help the next newbie, can't have too much humour in this world.

Don't worry about it Butters :)

Cheers

+1 Just hope one of the great fountains of knowledge has not dryed up. :huh:

Have to add though that if most new posters used the search or went backwards through the pages they will find a wealth of information and 99% of times the answer they were looking for.

What I do is just save the page or thread into my "Brewing" Folder change the name to whatever you need and then it is always there when you need to refer to it at a later date.
Do that with interesting Recipes too but there are far too many that I have no time to try the most of them :(

:icon_offtopic: um,at the risk of someone finding out where I live and coming around to have a stern word, settle down guys.
BUTTERS, I was not taking the piss, thats just me. Like RICHY says, you can't have too much humour in the world. Christ sake, my quadraplegic father died couple weeks ago from cancer with only 5 weeks from diagnosis to passing and our whole family is able to have a laugh and see the humour in things to do with dad. I know it's hard to determine a tone of emotion from a written text, but seriously, no pissing in pockets was intended. Only thing I was serious about was Amanda Vandstone and Bronwyn Bishop. Now there's a dream I can only dream of.....bloody keyboard is rising again....

Like I say in the OP, all helpful replies appreciated. Yes, I was looking for a direct answer to get me going, and yes, you did get me thinking properly again after being away from the brewing for a few months. BUT, I always appreciate a good joke of some sort. What I didn't like was the first reply I got about there being a thread like this every day.
SMUDGE, thank you for trying to be my white-knight and coming in to defend my virginal honour, but I am a big boy. Fair enough if what was going on was offending you, but I have had plenty of practise at recognising and ignoring f---wits over the years. Not to say that anyone here is the aforementioned f---wit.....
In future, I pledge to be do my own homework and try to find the answer without posting silly questions.
Oh hang on, the only silly question is the one that isn't asked and you stuff things up. I know some of you guys have been doing this a while; some of us haven't. Some of us feel the need to ask the questions you already know to confirm things. I understand you are a bit miffed BUTTERS, but mate, please don't go all hermit on us. No pissing in pockets again....At least post some humour, 'cause that photo produced a giggle in a time of frustration.

Back to topic. I've taken the temp up to 17-18deg overnight, it's now fairly stable with the evap going flat out. I've given it a gentle stir and pitched another wheat yeast about 30mins ago as there was still no activity of any sort. Fingers and toes are crossed, which is hard to do with the webbing in between us QLDers are born with......

Sounds like your first yeast may have been a dud.
Patience Grasshopper wait another 24 hours at least and hopefully you should see a bit of foam.

Don't keep going and looking at it, you know the watched kettle story. :D

now that I think of it, the first yeast had been in the frig a couple months. maybe dud.....
brewing way of thinking starting to come back to me......

Slowlearner, a lot may have been said in this thread but you now know what many have known for a long time - don't fret about airlock activity and use other more reliable signs of fermentation as others have discussed. The yeast being in the fridge for a couple of months shouldn't have hurt it. Unless it was very old or in bad condition when you got it. However, do let it come up to ambient temperaure when pitching rather than pitching straight out of the fridge.

My major concern with all of this is the Amanda Vandstone and Bronwyn Bishop infatuation. Stop it now, you are a very sick individual.

The yeast should have an expiry date on the packet - I expect it will be fine it just needs a bit of time to get going. Also 17 is a tad on the low side for bavarian wheat ale yeast.

Would aim to get it closer to 19 degrees to kick things off, then definitely keep it above 18 for the remainder of fermentation.

I'd say you'll have Krausen for Africa by tomorrow morning.

On the other thing, yes the google search option in this site will answer most of your questions, but not all. As you said... the only silly question is the one that isn't asked and you stuff things up.

Cheers
Richy

Back