Newbie With Questions Making Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to put down a GB whats the best one people have done??? I dont mind if its K&K but would rather spend the time to do the best one. I remember seeing a thread about some one making one from scratch but cant find it only one on non alcoholic one. This one will be bottles not kegs so it would be good if it can be done inbetween my AG day so when mashing and boiling I can knock one up on the side. Would be good to do 3 beers in 5 hrs :p

Uzetab- I've made a few ginger beers. I find them a little sweet for my liking so i add a little extra water and add an extra 200g of sugar (it dries the beer out). If you want to do a more 'from scratch' recipe then there's some good stuff over at homebrewtalk.com http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gtsearch.php?c...brewtalk.com%2F

Kelby- Its been so hot here that i've decided that i need a ginger beer on tap. I've been doing a bit of reading and have come up with this, will be making it tomorrow if its not too hot.

23L
3kg ale malt
.2kg cane sugar
.1kg wheat malt

(68% eff)

4g of POR @ 60 (5IBUS)
50g ginger root @ 20
50g ginger into the cube (hoping it will steep alot of flavour)

And then some big ginger chunks (so they can't block the dip tube) into the keg. If its not sweet enough i'll just put some sugar into the keg. I'm hopinh for a sweetish midstrength ginger flavoured ale. There's some good recipes over at homebrewtalk.com

sounds good ekul but wasnt sure if it used grain or not so was a bit sceptical I guess a light base like you have and light bitterness with a neutral hop like you have sounds about right. let me know how it tastes out of the fermenter if you ferment it staight away as I am going away again for 10 days so if you put it down straight away you should have some sign of what it will be like by then :p

edit: looks like I will be brewing 2 fortnights in a row but might still bottle it as 42lts of GB and only 2 kegs might become a bit to much :p, will book mark the page you posted and look around the forum. I only really on this one :eek: I am a member of the BIAB one but since I got 3v seems a bit stupid to go on there

Back