newbie question on fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akebrewing

Reaction score
hi,
So I brewed my first batch of all grain home brew four days ago and the brew has been busy fermenting over the past 2 days bubbling like crazy. but now day 4 its stop...completely. I was wondering if this is normal or has something happened to the yeast?

This is a joke right???

You bothered to read up all about all-grain brewing but haven't bothered reading up about fermentation? (Even I wasnt that bad when I first came on here.. :D )

Have you checked the gravity?

Sounds completely normal to me

Truman has a point - you've jumped into the deep end with all grain but your problem sounds like brewing 101 issues (not a criticism, I'm still on 101 just not quite brave enough for AG yet :))

The two likely answer are:
a. most of the fermentation is finished and the second, slower stage of fermentation has started. Airlock activity isnt a good gauge of fermentation. Wait a few days then take a few gravity readings as Truman says.
b. there is also a chance that your brew has gotten too cold and stopped fermenting - less than 16C and the yeasties will go to sleep as I learnt on my last brew. Wake them up with a little heat if that is the case (target around 18-20C for ales)

Overall nothing to worry about and you certainly havnt ruined your brew or anything dramatic :)

Truman said:
This is a joke right???

You bothered to read up all about all-grain brewing but haven't bothered reading up about fermentation? (Even I wasnt that bad when I first came on here.. :D )

Have you checked the gravity?

thats the way .

Truman said:
(Even I wasnt that bad when I first came on here.. :D )
your memory may need to be refreshed :p

Back