New Zealand Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how it turns out, I'm keen to do a single NZ hop beer. :)

Made a German Pils with all NZ Hallertauer flowers that was simply devine. Have tried a few Nelson Sauvin pilsners of late and they have also been first class.

"B" Saaz out of NZ was another in my last batch that went down a treat: very citrussy and pungent like Cascade but not quite the same.

Quite a good range to choose from by the looks of that shrine, Winkle

dom with all those kiwi hops ill be over soon to pay a visit love those kiwis hops

Oh my,what a great looking fridge.I hope that's the NS flowers top right ;)

Let us know how it turns out, I'm keen to do a single NZ hop beer. :)

Winkle, unfortunately this first attempt ended up infected due to a long lag time (>48hrs) :angry:

Anyway, I have re-brewed it and it is 2 days into fermenting so hopefully will have a report in 2 weeks or thereabouts.

Brewing with Southern Cross hops today.

C&B
TDA

I'm thinking about a southern cross,green bullet combo.But I'm struggling to keep Ns out of it ;)

If I get through the boil,I can still see a handful of Ns flowers at flame out :unsure:

I'm thinking about a southern cross,green bullet combo.But I'm struggling to keep Ns out of it ;)

If I get through the boil,I can still see a handful of Ns flowers at flame out :unsure:

Guess it depends on what you're trying to make, milpod. NS is nice, but what were you thinking of brewing?

Winkle, unfortunately this first attempt ended up infected due to a long lag time (>48hrs) :angry:

Anyway, I have re-brewed it and it is 2 days into fermenting so hopefully will have a report in 2 weeks or thereabouts.

Brewing with Southern Cross hops today.

C&B
TDA

This beer turned out really well, the munich malt provided plenty of malt backbone to the beer but for me the Pacific Gem hop flowers are a winner :icon_chickcheers: Firm bitterness some woodiness and flavours of tropical fruit. I will try another hopburst style with Pacific Gem when I get some more from domonsura! Hopefully this weekend! :beerbang:

C&B
TDA

I'll be down here at the workshop......sweltering...........

Well I ended up doing an one malt,one hop brew to test the southern cross.It has been in demand ever since.
Can't seem to make enough ;)

I haven't got around to the southern cross,green bullet combo.But I had a lager in mind.After the southern cross brews,I think I need to make it soon.

NS is an old favourite of mine and I think SC maybe a new love child :wub: so I chucked together an NS+SC pale ale.
Currently in the ferm fridge.

I tend to get distracted from my projects easily,so when I plan a lager with NZ hops,I end up making a La Chouffe.

c'est la vie

I picked up Southern Cross today & am thinking of trying it out in tonights brew. I'm thinking 100% JW Vienna & 100% Southern Cross, an OG around 1050-55, fermented with Wyeast 1272. I'm preferably after something closer to an IPA than a standard pale ale.
I'm just a little unsure of how far I can push the IBU's using the Southern Cross? For those that have tried it, what would be the max BU:GU ratio you'd reccommend? Would 35-40IBU be too high?

Do it!

With a big Vienna base like that you'll have plenty of meat to balance the hops.

Southern Cross may be big on AAUs but it's as smooth as a baby's arse. :icon_chickcheers:

It and Green Bullet are great Kiwi hops that I'm going to be using a lot more of.

Warren -

Do it!

With a big Vienna base like that you'll have plenty of meat to balance the hops.

Southern Cross may be big on AAUs but it's as smooth as a baby's arse. :icon_chickcheers:

Sweet :)

Thanks Warren.

Don't forget to report your findings. It's great to see what others think of these hops.

Great part is we can get them fresh. :)

Warren -

Don't forget to report your findings. It's great to see what others think of these hops.

Great part is we can get them fresh. :)

Warren -

Will do.

I'm now thinking an IBU of 35 from my 60min (or even FWH) addition with an additional 20IBU from some big late additions... just so I get a good feel for it's flavour & aroma characteristics :)

I'm starting to really get into brewing NZ pale ales.
I recently brewed one with NS and NZ Cascade flowers which came out very nice, and yesterday put down a brew using Green Bullet and the rest of the Cascade flowers.
Certainly come out different from APAs.

I picked up Southern Cross today & am thinking of trying it out in tonights brew. I'm thinking 100% JW Vienna & 100% Southern Cross, an OG around 1050-55, fermented with Wyeast 1272. I'm preferably after something closer to an IPA than a standard pale ale.
I'm just a little unsure of how far I can push the IBU's using the Southern Cross? For those that have tried it, what would be the max BU:GU ratio you'd reccommend? Would 35-40IBU be too high?

Sothern Cross has a very very low cohumulone level, the same as noble hops, so its bitterness, even at high levels is very smooth. And with a 15+%AA level its very cost effective.

I am in love with NZ hops. They are so nice, so different. They provide that WOW factor in a beer.

If the entire American hop industry burnt to the ground i would rejoice and smile because there are still NZ hops :)....... i would probably do the same without NZ hops as well :)

I dont know if i have posted on this thread but this is my Sheep Shagger recipe.

The Sheep Shagger

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 46.00 Wort Size (L): 46.00
Total Grain (kg): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.072 Plato: 17.56
Anticipated EBC: 17.7
Anticipated IBU: 69.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.6 12.50 kg. TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK 1.037 6
3.7 0.50 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 48
3.7 0.50 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 100

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. D SAAZ Pellet 5.60 9.7 First WH
50.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 34.8 45 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 6.80 4.8 15 min.
30.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Whole 11.90 8.5 15 min.
30.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.50 4.6 15 min.
20.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 7.5 15 min.
60.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 6.80 0.0 0 min.
60.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Whole 11.90 0.0 0 min.
60.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.50 0.0 0 min.
20.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

As you can see its a big beer. 1.072, 70 IBU but its smooth as silk. Those NZ hops really work a treat. Its been in the bottle for ages now and still has a fantastic hop character.

i fould a label for it on the net too...... might be a good lodo for the NZ hop sniffers :)

sheep_shagger_1.jpg

Sothern Cross has a very very low cohumulone level, the same as noble hops, so its bitterness, even at high levels is very smooth. And with a 15+%AA level its very cost effective.

As you can see its a big beer. 1.072, 70 IBU but its smooth as silk. Those NZ hops really work a treat. Its been in the bottle for ages now and still has a fantastic hop character.

Thanks Tony :)

I'm just about to sparge... I've gone for a planned OG of 1055. 32IBU FWH with a 5min & a cube addition to a total IBU of just under 55.

I am in love with NZ hops. They are so nice, so different. They provide that WOW factor in a beer.

I hear ya. Sticklebract, Nelson Sauv, Saaz B & D, & Pacific Jade (to a lesser extent) are all quality IMO. I'm yet to try brewing with Super Alpha but I regularly drink a local beer uses it & it has a great resiny bitterness.

If the entire American hop industry burnt to the ground i would rejoice and smile because there are still NZ hops :)....... i would probably do the same without NZ hops as well :)

I agree, they really have exceptional character, have tried now the Saaz B & D, with Super Alpha, Nelson Savin and Southern Cross and have NZ Styrian Goldings in the freezer yet to try, I think I could survive quite happily on these hops :icon_chickcheers:

BB

Word is from NZ hops that '08 harvest pellet hops should be available at the end of April or so... :beerbang:

Back