New Worlds Strongest Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggus

Case swap whore
Reaction score
The title says it all. Well regarded Scottish brewer Brew Dog have recently released the beer Tactical Nuclear Penguin, an aged, eis'd imperial stout, sitting at a whopping 32%alc/vol.
Check out the website for more, and a hilarious making of video!
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=214

Would love to get my hands on some of that!!

Cheers
Mike

Oxygen pickup... yummers :huh:

Eising is cheating a little.... might have to chuck a bottle in the -70C fridge at work and see what I end up with.

And yes it would be interesting to try.

30 quid a bottle?!? Hmmm... Is it strange i'm not really phased by that figure?

It has to be fortified???

I was speaking to someone the other day who had heard a Jamil show wherethey pulled out a
'naturally brewed' 21% beer without fortification, but by regular feedings of dextrose, and increasingly tolerant yeast strains. The trub was removed every day from the conical fermenter so there wouldn't be a build up of sludge.

Allegedly it was Whitelabs yeast.......

You have to remember this has been freeze distilled multiple times to achieve such a high ABV/ethanol levels. The question arises on how far we go until we can actually call this beer...having said that I'd really like to try this one!

You have to remember this has been freeze distilled multiple times to achieve such a high ABV/ethanol levels. The question arises on how far we go until we can actually call this beer...having said that I'd really like to try this one!

IMO..... Freeze-distilled end product = not beer !

I agree that's up for debate and/or discussion. Heat distillation [beer] results in whisky but freeze distilled beer results in an Eisbock ultimately but how far do we go before we class this as a spirit. I personally think it's an extremely fine line and have no problems with brewers pushing the envelope...it's all up to interpretation IMHO!

I agree that's up for debate and/or discussion. Heat distillation [beer] results in whisky but freeze distilled beer results in an Eisbock ultimately but how far do we go before we class this as a spirit. I personally think it's an extremely fine line and have no problems with brewers pushing the envelope...it's all up to interpretation IMHO!
i think your right but could i call the beer (hopped and all) that i have distilled, beer, hop schnapps, or whiskey? (not the best drink but i do like it after its mellowed on oak for at least a year)

if its beer then the 75% right of the still beats the measly 32%ABV they have :p

i think it would be a drink to try (and easy to make if you have a freezer at home :p)

Taken from the link in the OP:
"A beer like Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be enjoyed in spirit sized measures."

Then why, may I ask, is the bottle a crown seal, you bullshit artists?

Taken from the link in the OP:
"A beer like Tactical Nuclear Penguin should be enjoyed in spirit sized measures."

Then why, may I ask, is the bottle a crown seal, you bullshit artists?
they say should not best lol.. i bet thats from anti drinking laws

They are being "politically correct" on the recommended consumption so they don't get pilloried by the anti-booze nutters, many of whom seem to think, as does one of my sisters in law, that the casual consumption of 2 or 3 stubbies of beer indicates one has an addiction problem with alcohol :)

After all they are hardly likely to advertise that a few bottles of this will get you shikkered :) We can find that out for ourselves. Cheerz Wabster.

I was speaking to someone the other day who had heard a Jamil show wherethey pulled out a
'naturally brewed' 21% beer without fortification, but by regular feedings of dextrose, and increasingly tolerant yeast strains. The trub was removed every day from the conical fermenter so there wouldn't be a build up of sludge.

Allegedly it was Whitelabs yeast.......

A long time ago our club had a member who was doing ethanol production studies at the university. He told us that every yeast he worked with, which ranged from special "industrial" ethanol strains to wyeast smack packs (lager and ale) to dry brewing yeast, would ferment up to about 24% abv. However, this was by "incrementally" feeding the yeast a bit of sugar at a time, not all at once.

I see your point. However, once you taste a well made eisbock, you won't really care what it's called.....You'll just want more. ;)

Am I right? They did a 'nude up' before drinking the good stuff?

Am I right? They did a 'nude up' before drinking the good stuff?
Like I said, crazy Scottish brewers.
Having said that, if I had a few hundreds of litres of 32% beer, i'd be tempted to nude it up too.

Back