Need To Make A Dark Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't all golden syrup just another name for inverted sugar syrup? :p

Golden syrup[inverted sugar syrup?]I just add it to the boil after grain steep,seems to improve head retension & mouth feel[sorta guinessey]
Russ

Isn't all golden syrup just another name for inverted sugar syrup? :p

I was told that most golden syrup at the supermarket werent invert, and to get Lyles as it is. But just one of those things I was told by the local HBS guy that I no longer go to. Happy to be told otherwise.

Cheers,
Al

From Wikipedia.
Golden syrup is a pale treacle[1]. It is a thick, amber-colored form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who do not eat honey. It can also be used as a substitute for corn syrup.

Looks like i'm wrong.

Cheers,
Al

Bump.

Im going to roast some of the pilsener grain to end up with chocolate malt for this brew tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me if roasting can be done with already cracked grain ? I dont have any uncracked.

Will use about 300 grams, along with about 200 grams of crystal in the final brew.

keep at least 200 grm pilsner grain[carapils] for your brew-gives a nice creamy head
Russ

"Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter - Have recently opened a bottle of this after being bottled for 4 weeks and is very nice. "

I found the CCMP disappointing until it was 3 months old and then it improved steadily until at 6 months it was full of flavour.

Bump.

Im going to roast some of the pilsener grain to end up with chocolate malt for this brew tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me if roasting can be done with already cracked grain ? I dont have any uncracked.

Will use about 300 grams, along with about 200 grams of crystal in the final brew.
IMO, I think you should be right.

I had this same problem two months ago, empty bottles and no time to brew.

I did this in 20 minutes total including washing up:

1 can Coopers dark Ale
1 kg packet Brew enhancer 2
1/2 kg packet Light Dry malt
Kit yeast

All from the supermarket

but I couldn't resist my 'make better beer' principles and added 1/2 kg of Roasted Black Master Blend;
which is obviously voluntary.

8 weeks later and my glass on the dinner table is full of pretty good darkish ale.

DON'T CRINGE FOLKS: I need to quickly knock out a darker beer style, and wont get a chance to place an order with the HB shop for a while so I'll have to turn to the supermarket shelves for a kit or two. SO i'm wondering what the outcome might be with something along the lines of 1/2 kg mashed pils, 200g crystal, a kit of stout and a kit of cerveza. Doesn't need to be overly high in alc, somewhere around 5% is fine.

I also have a few hop varieties, but no idea what would suit a beer like this. I have POR, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Cascade (maybe) & Hersbrucker in the freezer

Any ideas ? No toucan stout recipes please, I dont need it to be that 'stoutey' in flavour. Perhaps something more like a porter is what I have in mind (although can you even make a porter with kit cans - I suspect some specific malts are required)

"Goat Scrotum Ale" eg. Woolies sourced
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16383575/Home-Brew-Beer-Guide

I did this in 20 minutes total including washing up:

Wow, wll mine's probably a few hours more than that. But it'sa labour of lov, whquite enjoy, so Im not complaining.

Here's ow this one's unfolding, I'm at mid boil no.

300grams of pils malt roated at 200 degrees for an hour. My oven's quite inefficient, despite being only 6 months old, so I dont know if it is true choc malt, I took it out as soon as it started to smell like it was burning (coincidentally was at the one hour mark). Not even a dark colored as crystal, but as soon as it hit the mash - oh man - it really does smell like a choc porter already. Added to that 300grams of pilsener malt (not roasting), mashed for 30 minutes at around 66 degrees, then added 150 grams crystal malt to steep for the remaining 30 minutes.

Dont want this too bitter, so Ive added 5g of POR 11% at 60 mins (the Coopers Dark Ale kit is rated at 25 IBU, so with additions of extras the 5g should hopefully keep it at around 25IBU). 5 grams of Hersbrucker 3.5% at 30 mins, and another 10 of same at 10 minutes.

Then the additiion of BE2, 1kg Saunders malt, one can of Dark Ale, and 500 grams of golden syrup at around day three of the fermentation. I think this beer's going to turn out pretty good.

Pitching later today.

Thanks to all for their input.

Back