My Portable Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adzmax

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing my portable mini keg setup. I'm pretty anal when it comes to this kind of stuff and I'm really happy as I couldn't have hoped for a better end result :)

With ice packed it the keg stays cold for over 24 hours and with 2 gas bottles there is no chance of running out of gas (unless you leave the regulator connected like I did over night - silly me). It's pretty inconspicious as it looks like a normal esky apart from the gas reg. It's totaly portable and easy to move on good sturdy wheels. It's a sure party hit and means I now NEVER need to bottle any beer again - oh the joy! :D

Parts required for this setup were -
  • 1x Mini Italian 10ltr Keg - On special @ $135 (Norm $175 @ Craftbrewer)
  • 1x Sodastream Adaptor - Craftbrewer $37
  • 1x Cooler bag on wheels - Bunnings $65
  • 2x Sodastream Bottles - Kmart (change over - Score!!) $22
  • 1x Quick Disconnect MFL (Beer) - Craftbrewer $11.90
  • 1x Quick Disconnect MFL (Gas) - Craftbrewer $11.90
  • 2x Female Adaptor 1/4" FFL x 5/16" (8mm) - Craftbrewer $14
Total - $296.80 (Not too bad in my opinion, I'm sure it can be done cheaper but I'm not one to cut corners :)

I had a few pieces of equipment that I use for my normal keg so I don't count them, they are -
  • Bronco Faucet & Hose - Birthday present @ around $14.90
  • Beer/Gas Line (John Guest) 2 Meters - Craftbrewer $1.90 per meter
  • CO2 Regulator - Birthday present @ around $87.00
gallery_3651_232_52428.jpg

Nice and compact and not too conspicuous

gallery_3651_232_61968.jpg

Plenty of room for up to 3 bottles

gallery_3651_232_78430.jpg

Nice tight pop top for lines to run

gallery_3651_232_20289.jpg

Snugly fits the keg with lots of room for ice each side

gallery_3651_232_28042.jpg

Full and ready for action, very easy to wheel along and good strong handles to carry up stairs.

Hope you guy/girls like and a Big thanks to Ross @ Craftbrewer for the awesome service and advice :D

I found something wrong with it??

Its not mine :D

Nice one. I have a UDG record bag on wheels with same handle, it just dosnt have that white plastic waterproof coating on the inside...hmmm

UDG bag -

33888.jpg

I only picked up my bag about 2 weeks ago. I'll find the brand/make if anyone is interested :)

Nice work! Is the beer line rolled up in the front pocket? one of those black 'picnic' taps?

Hmmm Thinking ........ Maybe could start with the soda stream adapter and cylinders and lug a 19L corny keg to mates to put in their fridge, using what I already have, (Duct tape the gas to the side of the keg?) and work towards the 10L 'Beer-in-a-Back-Pack' over a few months ????/ Hmmmmm ....

Doc_D (aka MD)

Sure is and I have a small roll of Teflon tape in a little tiny pocket on the side to seal the gas bottle nicely.

I'll be using the gas for 19ltr kegs over the holidays and I'm of the same thinking, should work well :D

Yeah it's funny you say that, I've had a lot of requests to make them, should patent the idea ;)

Ingenuity... I love it. :super:

Just don't walk through any airports with it. :blink:

Warren -

could you also not replace the primary gauge with a brass bolt to reduce the size of the reg? (unless you are precious about knowing the pressure in the soda stream cylinder)

MD

Yeah guess I could, is kinda handy to know when your bottle is due to run dry though. The only reason I set it up like that is because I simply pull it off my normal gas bottle. I was aiming to not purchase/modify as much as possible therefor saving cost. When I'm done I just pop it back on the bottle running to the fridge.

Latest posts

Back