Mixing Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcleary

Reaction score
Morning all.

Just wondering if there are any special techniques for using hot water to mix all ingredients prior to putting in fermenter without waiting for ages for the fermenter to reach 25 deg.
And is making a starting yeast prior to adding to fermenter any advantage at all?

Last time I boiled the kettle twice added the can contents in the bottom then put the dextrose on top then added the hot water and stirred and at 28 deg added just the yeast sachet stirred again and put the lock on any ideas??
Big B :rolleyes:

Use boiling water (only need usually 2 - 3L max from memory) from the kettle initially to get all the ingredients to mix well then top up with cold tap water. This will reduce your wort temp nicely to around the 20 - 24 mark.

Then just sprinkle the yeast on top then bung on the fermentor lid.

(I would be adding cold water not hot water once ingredients are mixed fairly well.)

2c.

Living here in Queensland my tap water is 26 deg so use ice to cool the brews.
2 litres ice for 2litres hot water 4 litres for a 5 litre boil..

BB,

It is advantageous to pour the boiling water on the powdered ingredients
first, these are the ones most likely to be not sterile. You can assume the stuff in the can is.

I generally put the tin in hot water for 10 minutes or so to soften it
(takes less hot water then to mix in). Add the dry ingredients to the fermenter, pour in 1 1/2 litres of boiling water, mix up thoroughly, then add the can contents and stir to dissolve.

Next add 2 trays ice cubes and fill up with cold water. It doesn't hurt to give the
yeast a good stir in either, helps oxygenate the wort. One of those large black nylon spoons with the slots in them (from Woolies) makes a good mixing in tool.

happy brewing

BB

Back