Mash Tun Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cranky

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm setting up my first 3V system and I'm having an issue working out how to fit a keg king temperature dial to the mash tun. I'm using an esky and want to mount the temperature dial on the side but the wall thickness is too thick to screw the nut on.
Does anyone have any clues on how to best mount these?

Or cut out a bigger hole out of the outer skin with a hole saw and remove the insulation and then drill the hole out on the inside skin to suit the size of the temp dial.

Brownsworthy said:
Or cut out a bigger hole out of the outer skin with a hole saw and remove the insulation and then drill the hole out on the inside skin to suit the size of the temp dial.
Oh - set it in! I like it

I reckon you're better off getting a digital thermometer with a probe that you can hang in the mash.

Another option is to 'float' the thermometer on a piece of styrofoam with the probe pointing down into the mash. I actually cut a piece of foam to fit the entire surface of the mash. After doughing in/stirring I cover the mash surface with two pieces of aluminium foil, the foam, then poke the thermometer through. I have a fairly large esky mash tun so this way I do not lose alot of heat into the air above the mash. Temp hardly moves in 60min

Thanks guys,
I think I'm going to cut it in.
Might be a bit rough but I'll see how I go.

waggastew said:
Another option is to 'float' the thermometer on a piece of styrofoam with the probe pointing down into the mash. I actually cut a piece of foam to fit the entire surface of the mash. After doughing in/stirring I cover the mash surface with two pieces of aluminium foil, the foam, then poke the thermometer through. I have a fairly large esky mash tun so this way I do not lose alot of heat into the air above the mash. Temp hardly moves in 60min
VERY, VERY good advice

My experience is that dial thermometers in mash tuns are not very accurate unless you are constantly raking/stirring (not recommending to do this manually) or continually recirculating.

The grain bed will often have hot and cooler spots and you are reading only from one point with something that draws heat (metal probe). Clumsy but I simply use a decent hand held in various spots across the mash (depths vary as well). Since I heat my bed with an immersion element, I stir until it seems reasonably even, cover and leave till the next step.

TwoCrows said:
Do as little as possible to damage/ modify your esky, as you can repurpose it when not using it as a mash tun.

I like the idea of a raft with probe. I just built a raft :D.

Digital temp on ebay nice a cheap, if damaged get a new one!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Led-Display-Thermometer-Fridge-Temperature-Gauge-Meter-Monitor-G4-/282294163754?var=&hash=item41ba0b192a:m:mU6OrshMzPZtFhNMFgvIiyg
apparently these are not accurate, a friend has these and consistently display lower temp than actual.
I bought the esky cheap for this purpose - i don't mind hacking into it.

That worked out better than I thought. :D
IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG

manticle said:
My experience is that dial thermometers in mash tuns are not very accurate
Oh well -_- -_-

I do give my mash a good, good stir before I take my reading, it doesn't change throughout the mash, whether I keep stirring it or not.

Latest posts

Back