Making A Brighter Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Doing full boils in a 50L kettle is something i hope to have up and running in the next few weeks... as soon as G&G have the NASA burners back in stock... in the mean time however, I am boiling about 15-17 Litres in a 19L SS pot from Big W... I use the light dry malt extract at the moment, and although i don't imagine that caramelisation in a 17L, 1 hour boil would be all that great, my czech pilsners always turn out far too dark.

My question is whether it is possible to use unhopped extra light liquid malt extract cans, instead of the LDME, as the malt base, to produce a lighter final product??

Cheers

Yep sure can.... some DME is a lot darker thant the liquid ones (if their fresh anyway)

Just remember that a kilo of DME will yeild a higher gravity than a kilo of LME. Also, just add it in the las 10 minutes of the boil...

Asher for now

Thanks asher, might go for 500-750g DME to boil with, for hop utilization... and two cans of 1.5Kg Extra Pale LME added at the end of the boil.

Cheers

Something else you could try is to not boil the whole amount of DME and just add it at the end like a k+K.

Morgans make an extra pale liquid malt and if it hasn't been boiled for an hour it comes out nice and light.

Also keep in mind that it's all but impossible to get as light a beer using extract as you can with grain.

I found all the beers i made with light liquid extract turned out far darker than i was expecting. And as it got older, the beers progressively got darker. When i did an AG i was surprised at how light a straw colour i got. Almost worried for a while.
Maybe the extra light extract is the way to go for the really light beers.

My all grain Wit using half pilsener, half torrified wheat and a dash of oats is very light in colour. No way would I contemplate being this "white" with extract.

Though if you are restricted to that, then go as above... just some extract for the boil and add the rest at the end.

Back