Low Carb Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats the go with the hyp of lower carb beer made by Tooheys (White Stag)? They claim it is fermented longer to eat more sugars (which sort of makes sence), but dont you wait until the yeast has finished eating the sugars in the fermenter before it is bottled anyway?

Is this like the Carlton Cold - chill filtered (i understand all commercial beer is chill filtered) marketing slogan? or is it real? :huh:

My understanding is they mash lower (and probably add cane sugar) to get lots of short chain sugars that ferment easier, and leave a thin watery, but low carb beer. Although the alcohol removes much of the benefit from the low carbs anyway, so it's a bit of an oxymoron.

Thanks for that, there could still be some strength to their argument (ignoring the thin/watery beer momentarily) that is;

Low carb beer + full strength alcohol, could/would be less than, normal carb beer + full alcohol?

But hey, if it can only be done by producing thin/watery crap, who cares really...

Alcohol has almost the same energy as fat by weight. So 5% of 375ml is 18g (roughly). So it's like swilling a shot of melted lard each two cans. My poor liver.

It's a bit like "dieting" by not having any tomato sauce on your fish and chips. :p

Mash low and ad amylayse to the mash - the amyl makes the remaining sugars availible to the fermentation pathway...

Whats the go with the hyp of lower carb beer made by Tooheys (White Stag)? They claim it is fermented longer to eat more sugars (which sort of makes sence), but dont you wait until the yeast has finished eating the sugars in the fermenter before it is bottled anyway?

Is this like the Carlton Cold - chill filtered (i understand all commercial beer is chill filtered) marketing slogan? or is it real? :huh:

In my experience the extended fermentation is necessary for diacetyl reduction, low carb wort has a very low Free Amino Nitrogen level, because you only need about half the grist because the added glycoamylase enzyme reduces almost all the carbohydrates to glucose and of course we add sugar as well so the FAN is massively low, giving rise to all sorts of technical issues, but this is what makes it fun to brew.

When it comes to marketing and what happens in the brewery, well the marketing and brewing Departments are normally at opposite end of the building, marketing use words like extended fermentation because it evokes a sense of quality and yes you are right about the cold filtering thing, but with stuff like cold and ice it is super chilled to -2 to -3 before filtration, this is possible because the beer is high gravity brewed and has an alcohol content around 8-9% stopping it from freezing. Large breweries are and have to find new products to differentiate themselves from each other and expand their market share, its just the nature of the game, be they do this through actual new products or just applying new marketing language to existing products.

so beer has been around since 3000BC, lets see what they come up with next!

Cheers

Brett

My understanding is they mash lower (and probably add cane sugar) to get lots of short chain sugars that ferment easier, and leave a thin watery, but low carb beer. Although the alcohol removes much of the benefit from the low carbs anyway, so it's a bit of an oxymoron.
Yep add 10% sugar and use Coopers yeast from the bottle , I did and finishing gravity of 1004 (OG 1043), boy is that yeast is a goer? Tastes like watered down mid strength.Yuk.
GB

Back