Lovely Valley Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travel to all the Micro's in SA quite often.
And yes this has to be one of the worst setups i have ever seen.

The only thing this place has going for itself is the Chilli beer. The chilli does mask some of the bad taste.
The brewer has got the perfect amount of chilli in his beer to be spicy but still able to taste the beer behind the chilli.
I have tasted chilli beers from all over Australia and they are either weak as water or way to over powering.

The other thing i hate about this brewery is the overpowering smell of sulphur when you open the bottles.

But they have been there for 4 years so they must be doing something right to still be in business (Location, price, varity?)

i think it's location, lots of people driving through that place and the locals seem to love the beer for some reason, probably because it's brewed in there town i guess

At least you can't claim the place in pretentious, and they are not trying to palm their beer off at $10 a pint.
On my visit, I thought there sparkling ale , really did taste like CSA.
It seemed to be a venue for very dull looking presentations being given to busloads of grey travellers,
The guy I spoke to didnt know hops could be added to beer.

Makes you wonder how the place survives if its really that bad.

Imagine what some of the brewers on this forum would be capable of if they set up in a tin shed by a busy road and advertised quality beer at reasonable prices!

:lol: This is almost as funny as the wort in cube threads...

Maybe some of the S.A. crew should head down and show them a trick or two or three or four.....
What about take down a fresh wort cube :huh: or sign them up here.

In the last Vic case swap my favourite beer was a Kit beer. The biggest difference between that beer and the poor Lovely Valley people is gonna be knowledge and passion. I bet my left one that some of the K&K/Partial mash brewers on this forum could make killer beers in their place. Certainly offereings that I would prefer over a Mega Beer any day.

If you are really gun-ho to open up a micro... why not take the Lovely Valley route? Then as you establish yourself, mix in a little bit of the Happy Goblin formula... and see where you end up.

You get to be a brewer, the capital costs are going to be a fraction of what they could be, and no reason at all the beers couldn't be perfectly good. The quality and variety of your beers growing and evolving with your experience and customer base...

Mix a chunk of knowledge and some passion into the Lovely Valley formula and it could be a real winner of a business that most of us would be jealous of.

well I had to find out for myself. I was going to see a customer down in myponga monday and thought that I would pop in and see what it all about. Just as a expererment I bought a mixed case and have been going through it this week. First I have to say that some of there soft drinks arn't that bad. But as for the beers I found myself pouring most of it down the sink. It really did taste like my first K&K beer where family didn't even want to drink it. Feel kinda sorry for the guy down there he is a nice enough guy but really has very little idea about Brewing and i think really just took it over for something to do. I mean i'm farily new to AG brew and a big thanks goes out toeveryone on this forum cos have really learnt alot over the last 2 years but think I will be going back to my brews from now on but want that does mean is that if anyone would like have the 8 or so bottles I have left there more then welcome to it.

i think this is a sad story. maybe someone should give him a taste of a good AG beer. That's what go me on the right path.

Caught a spot on "Discover SA" on this wondrous place. Still sporting the 60L fermenters! The only person seen actually drinking the beer is the owner. The reporter tasted the groundwater they use and said "mmm, nice!" <_<

Unfortunately, I went there today.

I had a "Bitter". I was shocked at the level of carbonation, must have been 3.5 volumes! Tasted boring, and had an extract twang. Reminded me of some of my early K & K brews. Very disappointed.

Foolishly, I went back for more. I asked the lady behind the bar what style the "Pale Ale" was, and she said Coopers. I suggested "Australian Pale Ale?" and she said "That's a good way to put it". While I was drinking this, I spoke to a bloke that had been behind the bar at times, and asked if he was the brewer. He told me that the brewer was a lady, and she wasn't there today. He went on to tell me about explosions they'd had in the brewery, "when they'd tried different things". I shuddered.

By this time I was sure I was drinking K & K... I just wish I'd read this thread first! Luckily we didn't make a special trip - we were on our way back from Goolwa, where we'd spent a delicious afternoon at the Steam Exchange.

Went for a lovely drive yesterday down to Normanville and just happened to pass through Myponga. I saw a sign that said "Brewery" I had vague recollections of this discussion thread so I though why not duck in. Unlike some who bought a mixed carton :lol: I bought a stubbie of their stout for $5 and shared it with the "Meerkat" I took the first sip and tried to graciously give him the rest :icon_vomit:

Seriously though one has to give them some credit in giving it a go. The government excise dept. obviously doesn't care how beer is made and sold as long as they get their cut. Can someone please explain whether this place can be called a brewery?

BYB

Back