Long Necks? Tallies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior06

Reaction score
Hey guys i know this is probably a common problem i've just started my 2nd brew.(first wasn't drinkable) all signs are looking good!

Although i'm after some Bottles fast i'm in the northwest of sydney any advice would be greatle appreciated!

cheers

you can always use soft drink PET bottles, or buy special beer ones at Coles / Bilo for about $12 for 15.

Ebay, recycling depots, Big W, and Homebrew shops.

recycling depot is probably the cheapest option.

junior

no luck at bilo just tried.

ill try the others suggested

i went to a mexican restaurant during their quiet time between lunch and dinner and scabbed about 4 dozen corona bottles out of their trash.
Had to hook the mouldy bit of lemon out of the bottles with a piece of bent wire.

I think that was one of my brewing low points.

As stated Big W has the Coopers P.E.T Homebrew bottles for about $12 for 15...

Also ring your local pub, and ask if they have a recycle bin you can shift through for champagne, stubbies or longnecks.

Pretty much all HBS's have bottles for sale, usually about $1 each for longnecks.

Getting lower - You could always look through the recycling bins in your street. Hate to admit it bit I've done it, but it was before the plastic wheelie bins so you could see them as you walked past.

Another option, just buy a dozen from the bottle shop and drink them, done that one too.

Which IMO is a ripoff, might stop by my local today and try my luck.

Beer said:
As stated Big W has the Coopers P.E.T Homebrew bottles for about $12 for 15...

Also ring your local pub, and ask if they have a recycle bin you can shift through for champagne, stubbies or longnecks.

Pretty much all HBS's have bottles for sale, usually about $1 each for longnecks.
[post="85646"][/post]​

Yep, Woolies always has them in the HB section. Except the day I decide to buy some the Murphy declares they will be out of stock. Jokes aside my LHBS sells them loose cheaper than Woolworths just not in the carton.

Good luck with your brews.

Seriosly though empty PET 1.25l litre work pretty well, just looks bad and it is light sensitive (so store it in the dark). Just adjust the amout of priming sugar acccordingly.

Also, it's OK to leave the beer in the primary or secondary for a few extra days while you get the bottles together.

Good luck with it

Pubs are GREAT for bottles.
You have to go early on a sunday but, they're a goldmine.
If you're after champers bottles, go after Mother's Day and Xmas!

tangent said:
i went to a mexican restaurant during their quiet time between lunch and dinner and scabbed about 4 dozen corona bottles out of their trash.
Had to hook the mouldy bit of lemon out of the bottles with a piece of bent wire.

I think that was one of my brewing low points.
[post="85642"][/post]​
Yep been through the bins at our local surf club before and scored heaps of bottles [some with lime/lemon in them] and butts :blink: , the ones I like are the crown seal clear 250ml coke bottles, tough as nails and good sample bottles I must have 3-4 doz of them.
Anyone else use them? :)

Still filthy that I threw out 60 longnecks cause I thought that they werent capping properly!!!

yeah, i have to admit, i've still got a few Corona copies in Corona and Coke bottles.
FYI - the Corona copies came out almost identical - bloody aweful!

tangent

please do not tell me that the aweful corona was a brewcraft kit -
i just bought that 1

gregc

Back