Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcano

Reaction score
So, after spending a fair bit of time reading the posts here I have come to understand quite a few of the TLA's (pardon the pun) thrown around in here.
LME = Liquid Malt extract, correct?

I went to my local HBS and bought a litre of Liquid Malt (Assuming we are all talking about the same thing).

It smells lush and is the consistency of a thick honey or some such.
I was reading in the NewBeerBosses thread about his first brew and someone said to boil the LME in 5ltr water with the hops for 30 mins and then let it cool for 10 before adding into the fermenter.

Why is this necessary if it is already in liquid form?
Hope this aint another SFQ
:)

Matt

You boil the LME to sterilise it mostly, and to get it thinner.. so it wil mix down to a decent gravity instead of sitting like goo at the bottom of the fermenter..

It is boiled for the following:
- to extra hop bitterness - you use a hopping schedule. The longer the hops are boiled for the bitterer the wort gets. Late hop addition is for aroma.
- to sterlise any nasties.

LLME = Light LME
ALME = Amber LME
DLME = Dark LME

EKG = East Kent Goldings
POR = Pride Of Ringwood

Hope this helps you out.

Excellent! Thanks guys.
Maybe there is/could be a sticky thread somewhere describing what these TLA's are and what they mean?

I really need to find some decent resources.
Can you suggest some reading material? (online preferrably) I am still not sure exactly what "dry hopping" etc is.

Another reason to boil, then rapidly chill the wort is to knock certain undesirable proteins out of the wort. Hot Break and Cold Break. Achieving a rapid chill after boiling will enhance the clarity of the beer tremendously.

So what is MLT? I've heard that one but can't find it in the terms and arconyms docco anywhere..

Back