Liquid Yeast Newbie Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Just popped the Bubble on my Second Liquid yeast pack ever, French Saison 3711, going to follow tony's method on splitting the batch, Just wondering now i've popped the bubble is there a time limit on how long the yeast can sit in the pack, will it ferment to a point where it could pop?

cheers

never used liquid yeast but from what I gather the smack pack activates the yeast so starts its growth id say. Prob kinda like hydrating dry yeast. Not sure if its needed when splitting the pack though, maybe it gives it nutrients to . I doubt it will bust if left but I wouldn't recommend leaving to long or viability may go down

The yeast should be used as soon as the pack completely swells, leaving it longer than that means that the yeast will start to loose condition and die.

The yeast should be used as soon as the pack completely swells, leaving it longer than that means that the yeast will start to loose condition and die.

Its nearly 6 months old and I'm planning on Splitting into and stepping it up tomorrow night. being it's that old I should be right leaving it 20 old hours?
No chance of it popping?

Its nearly 6 months old and I'm planning on Splitting into and stepping it up tomorrow night. being it's that old I should be right leaving it 20 old hours?
No chance of it popping?
No chance of it popping, and if its that old it might take a number of days to fully swell, so 20 odd hours will not be an issue at all.

If you are going to split the pack, you definitely want to wait until it swells completely, otherwise you will be storing yeast solution that is still fermenting and the pressure generated may be detrimental to longevity. Not sure i see the advantage of smacking before splitting, you will need to make a starter in any case and that will give you a good indicator of viability.

Back