Light Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

been reading all these posts. All sounds good.

But, I have a question.
My fathers in law is a fellow brewer, but he just enjoys his regular kit purchased from the local Big W, as in a Tooheys Draught. He is early 70's and the doctor has told him he is border line diabetic.
Plus, he has to reduce his beer intake. Arrrrgh, he says not doing that. So, next best thing is to brew diabetic friendly beer.
Now, we now he has to add less sugar to his beer, but, with what is available at Big W, is there anything else he could use to still produce a decent beer? The closest home brew shop is an hours drive away.
Knowing he is not going to venture too far out of the square. We have to utilise what we have close by.

Can anyone give some ideas please?

Cheers,
Bucko.

Make up a slightly higher volume (say 25 L instead of 23) and sub some of the brewing sugar/dex/whatever for maltodextrin. Shouldn't add to flavour, but body will still be retained and abv will be lower.

I'm NOT a doctor so please check if maltodextrin is acceptable before taking this advice.

G'day Brewers,

I cracked open the first bottle of the light yesterday. Surprisingly good. I did mess about with the hops though. LHBS sells whole dried NZ hops flowers. So bittered with Green Bullet, and dry hopped Hallertau Pacific. So not quite the "premium light" I had intended to make. Nonetheless a good beer that has a medium maltiness with a clean finish.

Thanks to those AHB'ers that gave their 2c-worth. :D

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Back