Leaving Yeast Slurry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all

Im just waiting for my wort to cool down atm, and decided to use some us05 slurry i had from a batch which i bottles around 8pm. Just wondering if there is any chance of infection with it being over 2 hours since i bottled.

I sanitised a cup in ummm that idophore or whatever its called (no-rinse, brown coloured stuff) and got rid of around 2/3 of the yeast slurry at the bottom, then i covered the fermenter in cling film and have just let it sit

I planned on bottling during the boil but i was too worried about worrying about hops and what not (feck, for someone that worrys about nothing, that last sentense doesnt sounds so good :p )

Anyhoo, yea, just wondering if theres much chance anything will go wrong if everything has been kept clear and whatnot?

Cheers, Sponge

nope, you're fine (touch wood). Fill 'er up.

Just make sure you don't pour the boiling wort straight on the cake.

Yup, thats all good mate

I figured everything would be alright

Ended up (with the water as well, as im only doing partials) with 20'C so im pretty happy with that

Cheers, Sponge

Cool cool. So long as the cold water went on first

Of course it did ..... :unsure: .....

anyhoo, just checked it this morning and its down to 17-18'C and has a nice amount of condensation and expanding happening on the glad wrap. Hopefully the wort was not still too warm. I rinsed my finger in idophor solution to feel what temp the wort was (what can i say, i felt like being risky... :p ) and it was only slightly warm. if i could put a temp on it, id say around 25ish... so i threw that in followed by the rest of the water. came down to 19'C

Meh, its done, its fermenting, and now to just hope it didnt produce any nasty flavours

Sponge

I know, i know, i blame it on being around 10:30, and prime possum was in bed a long time ago...

I think ive decided to just do my brewing during the day, or afternoons, rather then waiting til i get home from uni at 7...

Ohhhh well, why not live life on the edge of infection eh eh. Keeps things exciting

Sponge

don't worry mate,

I have left yeast under a bit of beer in a fermenter for days before throwing another batch on top - As long as you are confident with your sanitisation procedure, you will be fine

"I think ive decided to just do my brewing during the day, or afternoons, rather then waiting til i get home from uni at 7..."
HA!
I started an AG brew yesterday at 430pm. "Hump Day IPA"
7pm should be ok, providing you can get your water hot quickly, an extract brew can get from go to woah in 2 hours.

"I think ive decided to just do my brewing during the day, or afternoons, rather then waiting til i get home from uni at 7..."
HA!
I started an AG brew yesterday at 430pm. "Hump Day IPA"
7pm should be ok, providing you can get your water hot quickly, an extract brew can get from go to woah in 2 hours.

Get yourself an electrical timer.

I set up my brew gear (and crush grains) the day before i want to brew and attach a timer to the HLT with the volume of water i need to dough in. Usually set to turn on 2 hours before i get up. Speeds the process up

EDIT - to keep my post remotely on topic, i add 2L of cooled, boiled water to the fermenter after i rack the beer off it and put that in the fridge. If i plan of brewing in the next few days thats it. Other wise i wash it several times and then split it into a few vials and make a starter next time.

If i plan of brewing in the next few days thats it. Other wise i wash it several times and then split it into a few vials and make a starter next time.

GOOD ADVICE ^

Remember dried yeast contains more spoilage microorganisms than liquid yeast that is why dried yeast packs contain such large numbers of cells, so the yeast can get up and going fast and beat the baddies. So it's not advisable to repitch onto the slurry from dried yeast. However lots of brewers do it successfully, and so long as the slurry is treated well and kept cool homebrewers can also reuse the slurry from dried yeast. Washing is one way or using lysozyme can minimize the risk of contamination, some info Here

Screwy

Back