Keg To Fridge To Out Of Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealtb

Reaction score
I have an issue, my fridge can fit two kegs in it. Or one Fermenter (cold conditioning away).

Do you see my problem?

If I want to brew a second brew and cold condition it, whilst my first brew is sitting in a keg in the fridge, is it alright to take the keg out of the fridge and change its temp... for a couple of days and then put it back in the fridge? Is there any issues with this?

Or do I need to buy another fridge or a 2ndary fermenter that will fit beside my original keg?

Thanks!

Well people take bottles in and out of the fridge all the time. I'd image you'll be fine.
However, if you try to server from the keg when its warm, you balance will be thrown out.

I have an issue, my fridge can fit two kegs in it. Or one Fermenter (cold conditioning away).

Do you see my problem?

If I want to brew a second brew and cold condition it, whilst my first brew is sitting in a keg in the fridge, is it alright to take the keg out of the fridge and change its temp... for a couple of days and then put it back in the fridge? Is there any issues with this?

Or do I need to buy another fridge or a 2ndary fermenter that will fit beside my original keg?

Thanks!

ok, lets not confuse the poor lad with your rediculous notions od CO2 escaping and rooting his beer.

UnrealTB,

Here's the senario:
you buy a bottle of beer from Dan Murphys (a sealed container).
you put it in the fridge and it chills down.
The wife comes home with a shitload of cruisers for her tupperware party and takes your beers out.
Your beers come up to ambient temp.
You find out about your warm beers, but you're cool with that 'cos the tupperware chicks are hot.
The Cruisers get drunk by the hot tupperware chicks.
Fridge is available for your beers again.

Do you:
a) put your beers back in to chill and drink
b) tip them because they changed temperature

keep in mind that your keg is a sealed vessel, just like a bottle.
keep in mind that a bottle of beer from Dan Murphys has probably been warmed and chilled 3 times before it gets to your crusty hand.

Answer the question above and apply it to your keg.

Cheers,

BeerFingers

I would just cold condition your second brew in a keg next to your first keg.

thats true (B) I should chuck it

nah only joking, never waste a beer.

That does make sense I am sure it gets fridged etc a number of times before it comes to the consumer.

I rack my Beer and then cold condition it and then keg it.

However can you cold condition your primary fermentor so the yeast drops and then keg it? would that clear it up a bit, instead of racking it and then cold conditioning it and the kegging it?

cheers for your responses so far.

I rack my Beer and then cold condition it and then keg it.

However can you cold condition your primary fermentor so the yeast drops and then keg it? would that clear it up a bit, instead of racking it and then cold conditioning it and the kegging it?

cheers for your responses so far.

in short, yes you can.
But let me ask you a question; do you know why you rack to secondary?, or did you just read here that that's what everyone else does?

A LOT of senior home brewers who used to rack their beer to a secondary dont anymore unless they are in a comp, or they might if it's a Lager.
im my personal opinion, if im brewing a pilsner or some other lager that i want to be clear, i'll rack to secondary.
Otherwise I'll let it sit full term and crash chill in the primary. It'll all still drop out.
Your first couple of litres might be a bit murky when your kegging\bottling, but it will still be a clear beer once it's carbed and chilled.

My advise to you is:
leave it in your primary for the duration, chill it for a few days with finnings to drop it clearer,then keg it.
Your not entering a competition, its not going to change the flavour any way that you'll notice, and you wont run the risk of contamination or oxydisation by racking it.

It's just beer mate, it's not a science.
if you listen to all the wank on this forum you'll be a nervous wreck the whole time. brewing is supposed to be fun, not a stress.

Just stop and think if you're worried, usually the most obvious answer is the right one like I demonstrated in my last post to you.

Cheers,

BeerFingers

Short answer: the temp will cause the CO2 out of your beer and wont pour normally.
Long answer: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24

you are correct to a degree acasta, if you have kegged and gassed your beer at a certain temperature then you up the temp for a few days it will "RELEASE" gas out of the already carbed beer, the temp of the beer is related to the amount of c02 it will take up at a given pressure,so if the temp of the fridge is increased it definitely will lose carbonation to a degree.
fergi

So coz I dun have 3 fridges (1 for food / 1 for beer)

I took the original brew out of the fridge and put it back in, so it has gone through temp changes, and now there seems to be too much pressure in the keg, and it comes out all frothy, I could release the pressure, so no big deal.

how ever I am assuming cos the temp went out the brew released more co2... like the ocean in this global warming bs they go on about.

when i put it back in the fridge (which I have done) will it absorb it back in?

I drank half a keg and took it out of the fridge to put a full new keg in.
I left it for as few weeks..then put it back into the fridge and hooked it back up again.

the beer was flat and it looked like some beer had escaped through the out post?? on the keg.

I just drank it flat...still did what I intended it to do.

Back