JSON recipe DBs that I can use with iOS6?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
Haven't put this in DIY or software because it'll almost certainly never be a thing people can use.

I need to make an iPhone app that accesses some existing JSON DB (i.e. I can't purpose build one) and utilizes external APIs. Thought I'd start playing around with something brewing related but am unable to find a data source. Google points me to a bunch of incomplete implementations on github and that's about it.

Don't suppose anyone knows of anything?

Failing that, does anyone have any other ideas at all? The detail above is pretty much the entire specification I've been given. Can be anything that does anything. I'd better keep it PG though, I guess. Doesn't need to be orginal/novel. In essence, I just need to get data from a JSON DB, do something (anything) with it in my app using 3rd party APIs, ???, profit.

Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Can repay in scorn.

I DASFFS, just a teeny bit interested in what json meant. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/853265/databases-using-json-as-storage-transport-format

btw, I remember at least two aviation softwares that use a java backend with an SQL implementation as well, but remember support telling me that the program internally addresses the db using java. Point is, this sounds like a db format that might be used by a number of in house corporate softwares that like to do data transfers between applications on regular basis?! Maybe check someone who runs a small business and has to electronically get shipping updates and things like that into their systems without emails etc.

I might not know my arse from my hand though. Just a hack.

Should be easy to run a json encoder over beer.xml files I would think...

JSON is pretty much the defacto standard for data interchange in web2 apps these days. This means that JSON encoders are available for pretty much every language. I think I could knock something out in Perl or Python pretty quickly to convert an XML file and put it on one of my VMs out in the interwebs. Let me know if you're keen.

grantb said:
web2 apps.
Oh lord. This is one of those phrases that just makes me cringe as it has no meaning nor is it a thing.

But I do agree with your post :)

Parks said:
Oh lord. This is one of those phrases that just makes me cringe as it has no meaning nor is it a thing.

But I do agree with your post :)
Well, it certainly is a buzz word that seems to have been coined (probably by someones marketing department) to describe anything that utilises XMLHttpRequest via JavaScript (AJAX, as we know) to manipulate web content within the browser without refreshing the whole page. But, managers tend to prefer the term "Web 2.0". It's akin to "The Cloud". It's all in the cloud man!

Cheers

Don't get me started on "the Cloud"

:lol:

Thanks, guys (especially, grantb, very kind offer). This is for uni, the spec is not entirely flexible so I can't really use those otherwise helpful workarounds. I guess the aim is to show that we can work with external APIs rather than get JSON data into our apps.

I'll just pull some uninteresting crap from some random place instead - unless someone knows of some interesting JSON crap that doesn't use OAuth?

What about a public google calendar?

Yeah, I'm looking down that sort of path at the moment. Was just hoping to find something that might stand out a little bit (you know, without doing the work required to find it). To be honest, I've done zero network or DB programming before so I'm a little lost. I've seen the code and know there's not a lot to it in iOS6 but it's proving a bit harder than I'd like to get in that headspace in a short timeframe.

Thanks again.

Can I suggest a google search for "RESTful web service JSON"? That should turn up a bunch of stuff, including examples & tutorials. I am not familiar with iOS6 (primarily because Apple are evil & I refuse to indulge them), so I'm not sure what languages are available to you, or the native iOS API. I'm assuming it's Java based.

The previous norm for talking to web services was via SOAP messages using XML, but RESTful interfaces have emerged as a simpler alternative and are more likely to talk JSON. Elastic Search is one such product. You could check out some of the companies using Elastic Search via the elasticsearch.org website. Those companies might then provide services you can query.

I don't do iOS apps myself but they use objective C.

There certainly are a lot of restful json services out there. You won't get JSON back from a SOAP call (it would be a pretty dumb use of SOAP). SOAP is not great for data delivery - there's too much overhead. It's best suited where complex authentication and meaningful error faults are required.

IMO it's pretty awful all round but it still fairly well used.

After some Googling, it looks like REST is a little outside of the narrow technical scope I've got to deal with for this assignment. Thanks a lot for the idea though, will continue looking into it to see if I can make it fit somehow.

Parks said:
I don't do iOS apps myself but they use objective C.
One could (i.e. I'm not allowed to) write an entire iOS app in C if one wished but Objective-C is actually a lot more closely related to SmallTalk in practical use (if that help anyone).

Latest posts

Back