Is Your Brewery A Lab Or A Kitchen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lab or Kitchen?

• It's white coats and pocket protectors all the way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan and measure, but don't sweat every detail

• It's a kitchen, but I still record and measure for repeatability

• Call me the Iron Brewmaster!

• Total voters
Bugwan my garage is far (read; way far) from hermetically sealed and one thing you learn over time is that there's not too much to worry about. Plenty of nasty stuff floating around the air in the kitchen too that goes unnoticed. :)

BTW A good trick if you want almost closed transfer from your fermenter to your keg is to set-up a black beer disconnect, barb and small bit of 5mm racking hose forced on. Then just rack from your fermenter with 9mm hose and push onto your disconnect, open the relief valve on the keg and you can transfer with the keg lid on.

Racking from cube to fermenter for primary ferment I just soak a few bits of foil in iodophor and cover the carboy mouth and cube mouth when transferring. :beerbang:

Warren -

BTW A good trick if you want almost closed transfer from your fermenter to your keg is to set-up a black beer disconnect, barb and small bit of 5mm racking hose forced on. Then just rack from your fermenter with 9mm hose and push onto your disconnect, open the relief valve on the keg and you can transfer with the keg lid on.

Racking from cube to fermenter for primary ferment I just soak a few bits of foil in iodophor and cover the carboy mouth and cube mouth when transferring. :beerbang:

Warren -

Great thinking Warren. Will certainly try these methods when I next transfer to keg. Actually, my filter just arrived at work (from Craftbrewer), so I can try it out tonight!

Thanks mate.

lol, gadgets and tricks away, i just removed one variable monster, a new Crank 3D mill on the way from TWOC brewing. I HOPE I get fat from all the convenience of that and the march pump..... :)

Good poll, Fork :)

I'm an Iron Brewer for sure. When measuring base grain I scoop from the bag into the bucket on the scales with a bowl. If there's any left in the bowl when I hit target weight, the extra goes in, too. A "handful" of wheat need not be recorded in ProMash before I get to the milling. When I *cough* measure *cough* the strike water, it'll be "Meh, the tun is 44L, that's _about_ 12", etc etc I'm pretty careful with bittering hop weights, but don't time my additions to the microsecond like some of the polished keg owning, pocket-protector wearing, bucket of iodophor, propeller heads I know ;)

A gram here, a degree or two there, no biggy. My beers, like my pasta sauces, are great. But every one is a one-off.

My bewery sits on the bar-b-q and gets put away to many parts of the garage when I'm finished. I'm fairly anal about preparing a recipe and sticking to it. At the beginning I was recording all steps but now that I have my setup down pat I can relax knowing that strike water coming from my HLT will (most times) be spot on to what I require to mash with. Volumes from mash to kettle will be OK and a good rolling boil will leave me with my required litres into the fermenter.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back