Is there any hope ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and since pitched final stepup into a recipe recommended by Prof Bribie G as a Corona ripoff, which was 80% pilsner malt, 20% rice and a 60 min boil with Galena hops to 18 IBU. Simple but should be a good test for this yeast (American Lager).

I have never brewed with rice before so this was a bit of fun.

After cooking up 2 kg of washed white rice and dumping it in the mash I noticed the wort in my RIMS looking quite cloudy after 30 mins which to me is unusual because its usually looking very clear after 15 mins, so decided to mash for 90 mins, 1 hour at 63, 15 mins at 64 and rest at 65 deg C. It had cleared reasonably by then but still not to the degree of a 100% barley malt mash.

Fwiw, I was a bit concerned after I had finished the sparge to see what looked like whole rice grains interspersed in the spent mash, because I had read some reports that they disappeared completely in the mash. Nonetheless, when I handled them they had no substance like a normal cooked rice grain, just a like a soft bit of fluff, perhaps it was just some kind of husk so hopefully the enzymes chewed up enough of the starch in the grain. I also hit my target pre boil OG of 1.040, to my surprise and relief.

Pitched the yeast at around 11 deg C and its taken off pretty fast judging from blowoff tube activity.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a Corona ripoff to swill.

Latest posts

Back