Is It Ready

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NME69

Reaction score
Hi, I think my yeast has finished working( no more bloobs, lol) is this what my final reading is going to be because of my ingredients ?

This is what I've got brewing ( K&K)

Morgans Pils started on the 17-06-08

1.055 OG 1.020 FG Fermented at around 14 degrees

Super brew packet of sugars from LHBS Comprising of Dextros 250 g, Maltodext 250 g and lightmalt 500g
on top of that I've added about 250 g of extra dextros because I'm Kegging
I thinks there was 12 g of Saaz hops too

Is this going to be my final reading?

The yeast was the one from which sat on top of the can ( yes I know, after reading other forums I shouldnt use these yeast packets and should also make a starter too)
The yeast was simply sprinkled on top of the wort) :unsure:

1020 sounds a little high. I wouldve been expecting maybe 1010 with most of the fermentables being dextrose

I'm pretty sure there is a calculator on the net somewhere which you can plug in your K&K recipe into and it gives an estimation at the SG and FG

Someone else probably knows what the site is tho

And as you'll hear a lot, never rely on the airlock for fermentation. Hydometer readings are the only way to be sure

Sponge

The same reading 2 days in a row should give you a pretty clear indication that you've reached the end of the primary fermentation.

Thanks sponge for your reply.
Yeah I too thought it was a bit high myself. Do you have any suggestions Iin what I should do if everything points to not being fully fermented.
Do I add more yeast?

I'm pretty sure there is a calculator on the net somewhere which you can plug in your K&K recipe into and it gives an estimation at the SG and FG

Sponge

This the one? I use it to get a rough idea what to expect.

What type of yeast is it?

Lager yeasts take a while longer than ale yeasts

But if it's an ale yeast at 14*C it'll take even longer

1.020 is too high to keg it yet

Starters aren't necessary for dried yeast packets

Cheers

Thanks sponge for your reply.
Yeah I too thought it was a bit high myself. Do you have any suggestions Iin what I should do if everything points to not being fully fermented.
Do I add more yeast?

I probably wouldnt add more yeast, but just give the fermenter a gentle swirl (move the whole fermernter in a circle pattern, but be careful not to splash the wort otherwise you could risk oxidising, and DONT put anything in the fermenter to stir it with or you could risk infection :icon_cheers: )

Someone else out there could probably help as well

Also, what volume did you make your beer up to? Using that calculator, (im pretty sure thats the one wyatt_girth, ;) , cheers mate) id be saying you made it up to around 20L?

Sponge

Yes 20Litres, sponge.

thanks Wyatt_girth for that dit of info on that calculator ( I feel a bit smarter now)
Thinks I will wait another day and check that reading agian

Don't you hate posting questions like this?

Basic K&K recipe,
coopers kit
1.5kg dark liquid malt
110g roast barley (steeped)
15g Goldings @60min
15g Goldings @10min
Danstar Windsor yeast

OG was 1046
Basically I took a sample at a week, got 1022, and right from then, it stopped bubbling.
1 week later today, i take a sample and it's still on 1022.
It's sitting at about 16c so maybe it's too cold? (although it's been going at that temp for the past week with no probs)
I could throw in a lager yeast and hope for the best, or just give it another week then bottle.
Any ideas?
Oh, and it tastes good. Really good, in fact.

Don't you hate posting questions like this?

Basic K&K recipe,
coopers kit
1.5kg dark liquid malt
110g roast barley (steeped)
15g Goldings @60min
15g Goldings @10min
Danstar Windsor yeast

OG was 1046
Basically I took a sample at a week, got 1022, and right from then, it stopped bubbling.
1 week later today, i take a sample and it's still on 1022.
It's sitting at about 16c so maybe it's too cold? (although it's been going at that temp for the past week with no probs)
I could throw in a lager yeast and hope for the best, or just give it another week then bottle.
Any ideas?
Oh, and it tastes good. Really good, in fact.

It would seem that most of the fermentation is complete, though I had one very recently that stopped around 1017. I sterilised my mixing paddle/spoon and gave it a gentle stir, until quite a bit of sediment was put back into the beer. I managed to get it down to 1012 but needed to bring the temperature up a bit with a heater belt (to around 20-22 degrees).

I could have stirred it some more at this point but I decided to bottle it.

If you choose to do this you need to be careful (of course) not to introduce an infection. When stirring, just do it gently as you don't want to disturb the surface too much if you can avoid it.

EK

Back