Is It Ok To Use One Pack Dried Yeast For 40 Litres If ..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I mash in 40 litre batches and No Chill cube the wort in two 20 liter cubes .

It would save me five bucks if I add the packet of dried yeast to 20 litres of wort

wait three days for the yeast to get established then add the other 20 litres of wort .

That is OK isnt it ?

Pumpy :unsure:

Sound ok to me as long as both batches are much the same temp when adding and the first wort is firing of nicely would not be much different from stepping up yeast starters.

Sounds ok Pumpy but if there are signs of fermentation when adding the second 20L batch of wort I wouldnt splash or introduce oxygen.

Sounds ok Pumpy but if there are signs of fermentation when adding the second 20L batch of wort I wouldnt splash or introduce oxygen.

Jye ,When would be a good time to add the second batch ? when there was a krausen ?

Pumpy

Well not really, signs of fermentation would indicate CO2 production and any O2 at that time would be blown out. Its more than ok to keep o2 going in until the merringue starts to form. Once co2 production starts its no use...

I'd also chuck in at the 24-48 hour time period and treat as you would yeast culture propogation ....

One of the Trappist breweries (Westmalle?) uses this method, although they rack new wort on top for 3 consecutive days to make up their full batch. My guess is that back-in-the-day they were only able to make small baches of wort each day, so brewed 4 days straight and just added the wort to the already fermenting beer. Nowadays I would say it is just tradition.

In your situation I would probably throw the other wort in at high krausen, not after 3 days. You may get some extra special Monk magic from doing things this way Pumpy!

One of the Trappist breweries (Westmalle?) uses this method, although they rack new wort on top for 3 consecutive days to make up their full batch. My guess is that back-in-the-day they were only able to make small baches of wort each day, so brewed 4 days straight and just added the wort to the already fermenting beer. Nowadays I would say it is just tradition.

In your situation I would probably throw the other wort in at high krausen, not after 3 days. You may get some extra special Monk magic from doing things this way Pumpy!

its cheaper to buy bigger tanks and work the brewery 24*7 compared to buying a new brew house .... Abbotsford's FV take 9 batches to fill .... thats alot of beer!

Well not really, signs of fermentation would indicate CO2 production and any O2 at that time would be blown out. Its more than ok to keep o2 going in until the merringue starts to form. Once co2 production starts its no use...

I'd also chuck in at the 24-48 hour time period and treat as you would yeast culture propogation ....

Thanks /// for that your right

Thanks Insight I will be hoping for some of that old 'extra special Monk magic' to do its work.

pumpy :)

I'm thinking I would do the double batch up front as one run, but a few days prior commence a breeding program of your yeast in some boiled but cooled malt liquid to >double the available yeast cells for adding to the wort. Then just brew and add yeast easy.

QldKev

Got caught out the other day. Thought I had three T-58's for 50 L of a Belgian Ale, but only had 1. Solved the problem by rehydrating yeast as per normal, then running 2 lots of 1.5L of wort into 2L Juice bottles. Tip half rehdrated yeast into each bottle, shake, open lid sqeeze bottle in and out, shake more. Did this over about 2 hours. After about 6 hours both bottles were as hard as, opened them up and tipped them into my fermenters. Both beers fermented out fine, no apparent lag. Will probably do this method again. 1064 beer down to 1012 over about 10 days at 18C.

Don't wait 3 days unlesss you really need to.

Regards

Andrew

Gerard has told me in the past how we would do similar, though it was with liquid and half cubes. But same theory.

Chances are...it is not going to make that difference anyway....

K

Just throwing an opinion in - not an expert so take it on its merits not 'cause I deserve to be taken seriously on the topic.

I'd be putting the new wort in in the timeframe suggested by /// - or during the growth phase of the yeast before it starts to ferment.

The yeast is going to have a look at its surroundings - decide how much it can reproduce given the available resources and set about doing just that. When its grown as much as it needs to, it'll switch over from reproduction to fermentation.

If you chuck the new wort in while the yeast is still growing, then they can re-evaluate the situation and grow some more - rather than going through the effort of changing over to fermentation, then having to change back to growth and back again.

Plus - any oxygen you introduce during that time is going to be good for proceedings rather than bad. In fact you could and probably should oxygenate the batch again, or at least the new wort before it goes in.

I vote for dumping it in there within 24ish hours of the first lot before fermentation starts.

Thirsty

note: Anthropomorphism of yeast is for illustrative purposes only. Yeast are not sentient and you don't need to feel bad about drinking them :p

Back