Ironhouse Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
based on this from the website:

English style dark ale. An English yeast with a blend of Australian, German and English malts has created a beer with rich flavours bursting of chocolate and caramel.

I'm thinking a dark ale kit to start, but having trouble figuring out what DME/LME, then prob some choc grain, and some vanilla bean extract (not essence), it didn't have much hop flavour, but im thinking some fuggles maybe.... and prob US05 yeast

any ideas anyone?

thanks heaps

ANYONE got any ideas ????

i have now seen a few dark ale / porter recipes that have been based on a "draught" or "bitter" style can, then a tin of choc LME... so its confusing

basically i want a nice dark ale like james squire porter but with not so much roasty / coffee flavour and more choc / caramel / vanilla / sweet flavours

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I would guess that not many have tried the porter in question. Anyway, you would have seen my toucan porter here as you asked a question about it. It is drinking quite nicely at the moment, even though the calculated IBU is quite high being a toucan, with the carabohemian and windsor yeast the bitterness is not that high and it is not overly roasty, more chocolatey. Maybe a bit of caramalt or caraaroma instead of/as well as would get you a bit more caramel flavour.

My theory on chocolate vs roasty flavour is to think about it like cocoa. High cocoa chocolate tastes bitter, whereas lower cocoa and more sugar tastes more like cadbury's. So if you want a more chocolatey brew you need to add more sweetness to counter the bitterness of your roasted malts, thats why I added a good amount of crystal to my brew.

Latest posts

Back