Ipa Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've got a friend who wants me to brew a strong IPA....strong in all respects.
Here is what ive got so far...

1.7kg Coopers IPA can
1.5kg Amber LME
750gm Light DME
Safale S-04
20gm Fuggles Boiled 40mins
20gm Cluster Boiled 20mins
10gm Amarillo Dry Hopped

Will that be enough hops for the IPA bitterness?
Will it be too sugar-loaded with the amount of adjuncts im adding?
If so would two (11.5gm) packets of S-04 make a difference in attenuation?
Also anyone know of any better IPA cans?

Cheers

From the recipe you're choosing American hops, more of an American Pale

Plugging some numbers i'm getting something around 4.9% ABV (+ bottle carbonation), about 42 IBUs
If you want 'strong', you could always push the alcohol up to 5.5% or more, and 42 IBUs is a bit, but I like lots of hops so I'd say more. Only thing to watch, for a beer with that much hopping you may have to age it a bit for the flavours to settle and it to become drinkable.

.. as for better IPA kits, Coopers heritage are pretty good, if not just a little bit small.

Coopers IPA is one of my fave kits and it is already quite bitter so boiling hops for 40mins might be too much.

I make the recipe from the coopers website ends up about 6.5% i think

can of IPA goo 1.7kg
1kg LDM
500g dex
make up to 20L

last time i made it i put a cascade hop teabag in, very nice beer

I'd definitely go for more fermentables. Perhaps another kilo or so of pale-ME. I'd be aiming for an OG up in the mid-to-high 60s, or even up into the 70s. I'm not sure how well hopped the kits are so can't really comment on the bittering hops, but I'd be going for a mix of fuggles/goldings all the way. Go for 15g of each for 20 minutes, then don't go all wussy on us with the dry-hops: I'd put in 10-15g of each dry. It'll knock your socks off :). I've got a 6.9%, 70 IBU IPA on at the moment. It's not a good one for the shandy drinkers.

As Chimera said, drop the Cluster and Amarillo, and give it plenty of time to condition: It's going to taste like a freshly mown lawn for a couple of months.

Edit: unquoting.

The Coopers International Pale Ale can is rated at 340 IBUs - made to 20L would come to 18.7 IBU

I wasn't sure, that's why I spelled it out..

The Coopers Brew Master IPA can would make 20L @ 39 IBU

Plugging some numbers i'm getting something around 4.9% ABV (+ bottle carbonation), about 42 IBUs

I think the ABV would be about 6.5, depending on attenuation, there is a fair wack of malt in that sucker.

daniel

I wasn't sure, that's why I spelled it out..

The Coopers Brew Master IPA can would make 20L @ 39 IBU

Yeah i meant the coopers ipa can...
I plan on filling to 23L though...
if that can alone comes out at 39 ibu's would the hop method i proposed be suitable?
if the OG is high 60's-70's will the FG be as low as normal??
should i dump 2 packets of S-04???
thanks guys

btw- Chimera....do u like the band?? (Chimaira that is?)

all malt extract will finish higher (FG wise) than a Coopers #1 or #2 (normaly). Think about other yeasts like us56 (S 05).

Worry about ferm. temp before IBUs.

daniel

all malt extract will finish higher (FG wise) than a Coopers #1 or #2 (normaly). Think about other yeasts like us56 (S 05).

Worry about ferm. temp before IBUs.

daniel

I dont know what you mean?!...
I only use liquid malt extract, never the coopers be#1 or #2....they tend to be lacking in body and flavour IMO.
Usually my brews finish slightly high (1008-1009) but i was wondering if the extra unfermented malt would make FG's noticably higher??
I usuaully use the US-05 but thought the S-04 would be more appropriate for the IPA style??

I know to ferment at 18C so I didnt mention ferm. temps just curious as to what sort of IBU's an IPA was supposed to be style wise...

Thanks everyone..

I dont know what you mean?!...
I only use liquid malt extract, never the coopers be#1 or #2....they tend to be lacking in body and flavour IMO.
Usually my brews finish slightly high (1008-1009) but i was wondering if the extra unfermented malt would make FG's noticably higher??
I usuaully use the US-05 but thought the S-04 would be more appropriate for the IPA style??

I know to ferment at 18C so I didnt mention ferm. temps just curious as to what sort of IBU's an IPA was supposed to be style wise...

Thanks everyone..

i wouldnt exactly say thats a high finishing gravity...

i dont remember the last time a brew of mine finished below 1014...

that said all i normally brew is extract brews, which the extract is usually mashed pretty high, so you end up with a higher final gravity.

I have noticed the yeast in the kit that comes with the coopers IPA can works very differently than any other coopers kit/can yeast I have used. It should have a code number then IPA written on the yeast packet some where..... I know coopers is secretive about their yeast and Im no expert but this yeast is very active and can rip thru lots of fermentables with no problem at all. Id say if your not going to use this yeast in this batch don't throw it out, try it in a high abv% experiment. I think its good yeast.

I was going to put down an IPA as well..

What hop additions should I use when I boil my LDME?

Any hints on some steeping grain or liquid yeast to improve it?

Hey all,
I've got a friend who wants me to brew a strong IPA....strong in all respects.
Here is what ive got so far...

1.7kg Coopers IPA can
1.5kg Amber LME
750gm Light DME
Safale S-04
20gm Fuggles Boiled 40mins
20gm Cluster Boiled 20mins
10gm Amarillo Dry Hopped

Will that be enough hops for the IPA bitterness?
Will it be too sugar-loaded with the amount of adjuncts im adding?
If so would two (11.5gm) packets of S-04 make a difference in attenuation?
Also anyone know of any better IPA cans?

Cheers

Well guys, the IPA is about to be bottled has turned out ok...heres what I went with -

INDIAN AMBER ALE [17/11/07]
1.7kg Coopers IPA
1.5kg Coopers Amber LME
500gm Dextrose
500gm LDME
10gm Fuggles - Boiled 60mins
20gm Goldings - Boiled 60mins
20gm Goldings - Boiled 45mins
20gm Goldings - Boiled 30mins
10gm Fuggles - Boiled 30mins
20gm Goldings - Boiled 15mins
20gm Goldings - Dry Hopped @ 1012 (22C) [20/11/07]
Supplied Yeast (Coopers IPA)
O.G= 1060
F.G= 1010

What do u guys think?
I have to wait 2 months or more to let the grassyness settle right?
Cheers

I was going to put down an IPA as well..

What hop additions should I use when I boil my LDME?

Any hints on some steeping grain or liquid yeast to improve it?

Goldings and Fuggles are the most authentic for IPA, it's hard to go overboard with IPA,
I use about 15 to 20 g for a can of LDME.

"The malt should show an English character and be somewhat bready, biscuit-like, toasty, toffee-like and/or caramelly",
up to 1/2 kg of crsystal grain would provide toffee and caramel notes, I'm not sure about bready, biscuit or toasty
flavours from grain.

This is quite similar to something I made late in 2006. Sadly I have only a single bottle left now. Leave it to 'mature' for as long as you can stand it. Mine took about 6 to 7 months to become the excellent beer I hoped for.

IMHO, now urgently make something quick and easy to drink in the meantime!

What do u guys think?
I have to wait 2 months or more to let the grassyness settle right?
Cheers

Put some of the brew into smaller bottles 375ml so you dont need to open a full 750ml to taste it. I like to use 1 or 2 clear bottles for bottling also so i can see the colour and clarity while its in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back