Interesting Description Of Coopers Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Well I was out last night at 'the Grill on the Alley' in sunny Manchester and they had a 'beers of the month card'

This was their description of Coopers Dark Ale

Tasty and refreshing despite being shot-through with a rich, roasted chocolate maltiness and over-laying coffee-dark aromas. There is a light lemony acidity here and a glimpsed delicate floral core that makes you think that underneath all that bravados and Sheila-slapping there lurks a genuine desire to please, tickle and generally titillate in the Australian make-up. Drink-up quick though, there are no additives or preservatives.

WHAT!!! :huh:

and the 4.50 price tag was a bit steep, especially for a 330ml bottle

What , 4 pounds fiddy? Can buy a whole 6 pack for that price here :)

I think they are just really clutching at straws with that description, unfortunately some of these writers get paid per word! It's a good beer but i wouldn't say there is a "lemony acidity and a floral core"... damn that would get you beat up in some parts of Oz :lol:

I was with them up to the sheila slapping.

It's not what it used to be IMO

Not as roasty as when first released,Kinda sweeter and dumbed down the last time I tried it.
lacks complexity.

One of my swills of choice just had a pint for $3.50 during happy hour at work, could have got half cut for 4 and a half quid :lol: :chug: :chug:

The description is pretty OK except maybe the 'rich' part although its almost there depending on what you compare it too.

I find it far too watery (read 25% sugar) for a dark ale now. I thought it used to be a lot more flavourful when I first had it a couple of years ago, but that was before I really knew anything about beer. Definitely agree with the "refreshing" part, but most light-flavoured beers served ice cold and fizzy are refreshing though.

Still, when compared to Tooheys Old and Carlton Black, it's heaven.

Ask them what their description of VB was (if it ever was a 'Beer of the Month'). Should be good for a laugh. :eek:

I read a review of VB on a pub's beer board the other day... It included: "Hints of sweet malt... and clean fruity finish." I actually laughed out loud.

I tried one a few years ago when in the hunter, it was a faarken great beer. About 3 weeks ago i had lunch with my wife, and they had it on the drinks menu, i thought you beauty!, so i ordered one. Was alright, but i dont think it was as good as previously, didnt seem to have enough body for a dark ale IMO.

It's OK on tap but wouldn't worry about the bottled variety - taste like different beers.

Back