Insanely High Abv% Beer (41% Abv Wtf?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to that note DrS,
Lets not forget about that it's imported limited release beer, and that beer in Australia is taxed BY THE ALCOHOL!
Considering it's a strong as a Whiskey, it's best treated like a whiskey. Carbonation aside (did they even bother!?), the beauty of having a beer so strong is that it will not oxidise or infected by bacteria...it's way too strong...so it will keep forever essentially!

Whiskey at $250 for half a bottle! How do you treat it like a whiskey? leave it sitting on or behind the bar like a symbol of have,

I get it now, you buy it to keep forever! :blink:

Lets not forget about that it's imported limited release beer, and that beer in Australia is taxed BY THE ALCOHOL!
Considering it's a strong as a Whiskey, it's best treated like a whiskey. Carbonation aside (did they even bother!?), the beauty of having a beer so strong is that it will not oxidise or infected by bacteria...it's way too strong...so it will keep forever essentially!

If it's taxed like a whiskey doesn't that mean it's about $20 in tax? That aint much.

That said this is an extremely limited release beer and if you compare it to some scotches maybe it's not that big a rip off?

Is it really a stubby though? 330ml and you can't put the cap back on? Have to drink all $250 in one go?

Is it carbonated? Is it even a beer?

If it's taxed like a whiskey doesn't that mean it's about $20 in tax? That aint much.

That said this is an extremely limited release beer and if you compare it to some scotches maybe it's not that big a rip off?

Is it really a stubby though? 330ml and you can't put the cap back on? Have to drink all $250 in one go?

Is it carbonated? Is it even a beer?
Definately not taxed like a whiskey...it's taxed like beer, ie, to the bullshit.

I'd put it almost in the catagory of a collectors item because of it's limited release appeal, and the status of having a $250 stubbie of beer...if you're that vain...

And yeah, apparently it is a stubby, but, like I mentioned, because it is so bloody strong, I can imagine...like a whiskey...it's not going to be effected by oxidisation and bacterial infections. And at the end of the day, can barely be considered a beer at all.

Very expensive beers yes - but VERY GLAD I tried both of them.

Hmmm.

If you want to treat it like whisky (or whiskey??) then $250 will buy you some pretty special drops that have been aged for many a year before they even become available for purchase. No need to cellar - it's been done for you.

I think the concepts this mob come up with are great (didn't they also do a ridiculously low ABV beer in response to stupid media hype?) but that amount of money is high prices for any alcohol and falls purely in the lap of people who can afford luxury. If you can afford luxury then price is irrelevant and it's all about how rare and special you are.

If you can't (and I can't) then it's somewhere between out of reach and ridiculous. If I had the money to spend, I'd probably go for a cask strength single malt or a good vintage penfolds or french champagne or a decent number of westvleteren or a case of Rochefort 8.

better still - I'd go one bottle of single malt ($50-90) one nice bottle of wine (say $40-50) and a couple of different inspirational beers (say 6 X 9 = 51) and have $100 left to spend on ingredients to make my own version of something inspired by all those drinks.

Maybe if I was super rich, I'd feel differently and I do appreciate well made produce costing more. However I'm not, so realism comes first.

Ya'll dissing the beer should read the reviews. People are practically singing about it.

You can get an idea of how they make it from their first attempt - tactical nuclear penguin

Last edited by a moderator:
No-one really dissed it - just suggested it was a bit pricey.

I really shouldn't post on here as soon as I wake up. :unsure:

Right you are. After actually reading things over, I was basing my comment on 1 comment here about stopping at 11.5% and a few others on beer advocate. Nothing to do with this thread.

Apologies. And yeah, its damn pricey. I sure as hell wont be getting to try any.

Back