Initial Strike Temp High (80c) - Issues?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWombles

Reaction score
Hi there,

First post - and it's a kerffull I did. New Gravity brew system - mash temp initially too low, placed it on the heat again - gave it a stir - then SHAZAM - 80 degrees C !! Put cold water in it within 5 minutes to get mash temp back down to 64 degrees C..I haven't destroyed all the enzymes have I for the mash??
I Mashed it for 1.5 hrs and wort tasted sweet - hope I get something out of It.. any comments welcomed.

I did it once, and the beer came out very characterless, t was a belgian quad

It will still be beer, but maybe not exactly as you had planned it. The fact it tastes sweet is possitive, I reckon it will just affect your final gravity, in that it might be higher than predicted. I guess a starch test would of been useful to test for full conversion, not sure what more you could do though anyway since you already did a 90 miute mash. At any rate it is my understanding that it will only cause starch haze or something anyway, again, it will still be beer :chug:

Cheers all for the feedback. I thought I may as well go the whole way and went on as planned (Boil times - hops etc). Will be a lesson - Let you know how it turned out (8 weeks - let the ale rest in the cellar for a while)
Am going to do a OG on the batch tonight.

Cheers all for the feedback. I thought I may as well go the whole way and went on as planned (Boil times - hops etc). Will be a lesson - Let you know how it turned out (8 weeks - let the ale rest in the cellar for a while)
Am going to do a OG on the batch tonight.
I also did this once. It didn't have the flavour and character that it should have.
I also noticed the beer had a real soapy head.

I wonder if it would be possible in this situation to throw some more grain in to get some undenatured amylase in there? I have no idea how much you would need to add, but just an idea, better to have some enzyme in there then none.

Also you can quicly test for starch to see if everything has been converted or not by mixing a bit of wort and iodophore. if starch is present (i.e enzyme has failed), than the solution will go black.

Brew craft sell a dry enzyme thingy, add one 3g sachet to a 25L brew for a real dry beer. Might be worth a try? At the very least if the high strike temp happens again once you're back to the right temp range add a sachet and mash as per normal with a mash out (very important as I believe these are synthetic enzymes, and they just keep on going once started (5kg yielded 42L of 1.060OG wort last time I tried them, was just to see what would happen, beer was rather bodiless to my taste)).....

Brew craft sell a dry enzyme thingy, add one 3g sachet to a 25L brew for a real dry beer. Might be worth a try? At the very least if the high strike temp happens again once you're back to the right temp range add a sachet and mash as per normal with a mash out (very important as I believe these are synthetic enzymes, and they just keep on going once started (5kg yielded 42L of 1.060OG wort last time I tried them, was just to see what would happen, beer was rather bodiless to my taste)).....

Wrong enzyme, this helps to break up complex sugars at low temperatures. You need amylase that converts starch into sugar at higher temperatures which isn't in those packs.

Did the OG this morning- 1048. I have 5kg Marris Otter, 500g Crystal 60 in the mix and hopped every 30min with 25-30g Kent Goldings for a boil of 90minutes - total batch ended up 24 ltrs.
I have hope it will work...or maybe I'm just deluding myself..we shall see.

Even at 70C beta amalayse will not survive for so long. +1 to it finishing above estimated FG.

Did the OG this morning- 1048. I have 5kg Marris Otter, 500g Crystal 60 in the mix and hopped every 30min with 25-30g Kent Goldings for a boil of 90minutes - total batch ended up 24 ltrs.
I have hope it will work...or maybe I'm just deluding myself..we shall see.

I'm curious about why it ended up at 1.048. Thats pretty close to what you'd expect with out the mash screw up.
I would assume if the amylase was denatured nothing would convert the starch, no mash would occur and major efficiency would be lost. Will starch contribute to SG? I assume not because it would not be seperated from the grain.

But I would strongly suggest doing a starch test. If you have anything with Iodine in it, such as iodophore or betadine, whack a few drops in a small sample of your beer. If the solution turns black then you don't have complete conversion. If no reaction occurs then all has been converted. You might just have some very complicated unfermentable sugars which means you will get a high FG.

Have Iodine in the cabinet - will do a starch test this morning. The brew is fermenting well..I'm starting to wonder if there was a hot pocket that I bought to the surface where I did a mash temp check and the majority of the mash was within range...I usually move the thermometer around to get a good temp reading.

I just thought I'd update on the 'Mistake' I made with the initial strike temp being too high for a few minutes. After leaving it in a primary for 2 weeks (Was getting too hot - so I bottled it) I couldn't help myself and tried one this afternoon. It has good mouthfeel (- not too thin -) good hop balance and a nice red copper colour with the 500g of crystal 60 I had left from a previous brew..it seems things are looking not too bad. I think ageing it for a couple of months it should be more than drinkable. I think I was very VERY lucky and did not destroy all enzymes. Head retention is a bit poor - but that could be that it has been in the bottle for a short time as well and not fully carbonated maybe.?.

Back