If I can make it one more week!?!? UGH!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie1

Reaction score
Greetings, just a follow up of my first brew, I started this on April the 4th, 3 weeks in FV @ 18c, bottled it and now has been 2 weeks conditioning @17c, I will wait one more week before giving it a try. I will say the Coopers DIY kit has it right, simply the easiest way to brew for a beginner. When I bottled the beer was so clear it was amazing and now the bottles are very firm and seem to be carbonated well & clear. If this is half as good as it looks I am ordering a couple more kits soon.

Thank you all for your help.

GO OKC Thunder & we have the NBA MVP, how cool is that.

Oh I thought it was another one of those threads posted from rehab.

The important thing is to plan ahead and keep a throughput of beer going so that there isn't any waiting- you always have something ready to go. So is there a beer in your fermenter right now? If not, I can think of something you could be doing today :p

peas_and_corn said:
Oh I thought it was another one of those threads posted from rehab.

The important thing is to plan ahead and keep a throughput of beer going so that there isn't any waiting- you always have something ready to go. So is there a beer in your fermenter right now? If not, I can think of something you could be doing today :p
The thing is, it must be good beer to pass the Mrs. seal of approval, then it is onward and upward with no end in site. This is the good time of life, three years retired & loving every moment.

And don't beat yourself up over it. Try some, it will give you an idea of how it improves with age.

Edit: Ok, so try it in secret once before SWMBO does, at least.

I've just finished waiting 5 months for my 1850's porter to come to peak.

Previous tastings had a subtle aniseed taste, which is a flavour I really don't like in beer, but after the wait, it's gone/diminished.
Although I understand that people do put licorice stalks (etc.) in the wort on purpose.

Mr Wibble said:
And don't beat yourself up over it. Try some, it will give you an idea of how it improves with age.

Edit: Ok, so try it in secret once before SWMBO does, at least.

I've just finished waiting 5 months for my 1850's porter to come to peak.

Previous tastings had a subtle aniseed taste, which is a flavour I really don't like in beer, but after the wait, it's gone/diminished.
Although I understand that people do put licorice stalks (etc.) in the wort on purpose.
No way I could wait for 5 months but you talked me in to it, I put one 750ml in the fridge & I shall give it a try this evening, thanks. I shall report the results, good or bad. :chug:

I gave it go last evening & I can say that it beats anything I can buy around here. I will wait another week and do so again. I wish there were local brew stores close, the nearest is at least an hours drive each way so can't do that and keep costs down, have to use the internet.

If you can manage it, leave a couple in the back of the cupboard.
You can then try these is a few months. It will smooth out, mellow perhaps.

You do have your next brew planned right? You don't want to run out ;)

I generally only bottle a half-dozen or so from each batch (rest goes into a keg).
This leaves me with a treasure-trove of beers which are piling up in the wardrobe.
I just found a 3-pack of 6 month old robust porter, it was mighty fine.

Back