I Wonder How This Will Taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
I'm just about to put a brew down...
1 x Muntons Blonde can
1kg LDM
1kg Honey(Leabrook Mixed Blossom, bought it from the supamarket)

23L Batch

I also made a little mix...
600ml Water
Rind from 1 x ea...orange, lemon and lime
7g Freshly cut rosemary
Boiled, then frozen into 2 cubes
This will go straight into primary.

5g Cluster - dry hopped in primary.

Any suggestions on possible changes?? Anyone brewed anything similar??

I have also made a starter with the kit yeast. Did that yesty.

sounds like you were reeading either the medicinal beer thread or the Age article on "Aussie bush beer".

ahhh Leabrook Mixed Blossom. I buy that for use at home. its not cheap though, a kilo must have cost close to $14.

I recon 7g of rosmary might be too much and I dont see the point of making ice cubes (I could be missing something).
maybe 10g of cluster dryhopped or 5g @ 5min. Dry hopping usualy take splace after fermention has subsided otherwise CO2 drives off the aroma.

I recon is could be ok tasting though. Love to know how it turns out.

sounds like you were reeading either the medicinal beer thread or the Age article on "Aussie bush beer".

ahhh Leabrook Mixed Blossom. I buy that for use at home. its not cheap though, a kilo must have cost close to $14.

I recon 7g of rosmary might be too much and I dont see the point of making ice cubes (I could be missing something).
maybe 10g of cluster dryhopped or 5g @ 5min. Dry hopping usualy take splace after fermention has subsided otherwise CO2 drives off the aroma.

I recon is could be ok tasting though. Love to know how it turns out.

Yeah I read the thread on adding medicinal herbs, etc. Here
And yes again, the 1.5kg tin was $13.50(or something thereabouts)

Unfortunately I don't have any other hops but the 5g in Cluster. So you reckon I should add this to secondary?? Maybe I should add the ice-mix to secondary too??(I froze it just to make xtra certain everything was dead and one less thing to frig round with when puttin down the brew)...hmm, I wonder should I put one icecube-mix in primary then one into secondary?? :(

flavour - primary
aroma - secondary

Im working on the principle of spice beers where you add cloves, honey rind etc to the primary (ala BConnery's Chrismoose ale).

Dry hop in secondary (if your physically moving it into a secondary container). If your just leaving it in the primary you can still dry hop just make sure fermentation has mostly finished as the vigerous CO2 production drives off the hop aroma/oils.

also when you say rind, you want to use as little of the white pith as possible, thats causes bitterness. the coloured zest is swwt and flavoursome.

I'm in the middle of putting this together...I'll put a pic. of the ice-block herb mix shortly. I'm going to throw one in @ flameout...wait - got to go and check the kettle...ok, back...(running commentary :D ) - citymorgue, I am physically transfering to secondary so I will put another ice-block(melted first) in there as you have suggested, along with the hops.

I also grated the orange, etc...so no pith.

Edit:pics inserted.

If this turns out anything like what the aroma is throwing off...Wow, I think this is going to be a really nice, refreshing beer for summer.

Just now waiting for the wort to cool.

Herb_Ice_Block_a_448x336.JPG

Herb_Ice_Block_b_448x336.JPG

G'day all,

Just after some advice from fellow HB'ers...I have had this brewing for around 5 days now and it has slowed right down(no airlock movement, krausen has pretty much gone), I know it would be just as easy to take an SG reading but I sort of like to just go on visual inspection...anyway my question is - Should I give the fermentor a bit of a swirl or leave it for one more day then transfer to secondary??
I realise transfering to sec. will get the yeast stirred up and active again, but I'm just curious as to what others suggest...
Cheers!

Did you have an original gravity reading? final gravity reading?

A swirl and an extra day or two in primary isn't going to hurt.

Did you have an original gravity reading? final gravity reading?

A swirl and an extra day or two in primary isn't going to hurt.

O.G 1046

Haven't taken an SG since. As I said I prefer to just let it do it's own work without to much mukkin around, interference, not that taking an SG reading involves any sort of muckin round ;) mind you...
I might just give it a swirl and leave it for another day or 2...I'll see what others suggest

Thanks for the input Geoff!
Cheers!

give it some more time. I leave all my ales in primary for 2 weeks (or longer). If I was racking to secondary I'd probably still leave in primary for almost 2 weeks.

Back