I thought citra was awesome, but now everything just tastes like pash-

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aces High

Reaction score
yes im spelling pasheona fo-en-et-ic-lee, but it been a lot of years since i sampled the soft drink made of passionfruit and I cannot remember the spelling... but now thanks to the pound of citra i purchased from the old US of A all my beers shall be passionfruit... too much passionfruit. I've heard that citra is awesome, but really it seems like drinking girly water (no offence to the girlies that like drinking passionfruit flavoured water)

Why the hell is this hop regarded as awesome? Not trying to be derisive, but right now it doesn't seem like a tough mans drinking companion...What kind of a beer would you recommend to accompany this kind of passionfruit awesomeness?

There endeth the passionfruit flavoured rant

You could try using citra with other hops, thats where Citra really shines.

I love the Citra Amarillo combo. Very nice with a bit of Simcoe tossed in also.

Also a big fan of Citra and Zythos together in a big stinky IPA.

Aces,
I feel the same way. Its one of those things where people bang on about it, so I try it, dont think its THAT awesome, then wonder whats wrong with me hahaha.
But, it does go well with Cascade, I know that. I made a simple APA with Cascade for bitterness and 0.5g/L each at flameout and it was far better than the time I used Citra on its own late.

I've never been a single hop sort of brewer, I find single hopped beers a bit to, strangely enough, one dimensional.. I also like the challenge of finding that sweet combination of hops when developing a recipe. Given the above I can't comment on Citra by itself but damn, used as a companion to (as mentioned) Amarillo or Centennial (or almost any other C hop) is where it shines..

A little bit goes a long way when used as companion hops an I find that having a hint of something is sometimes better than being punched in the face by it... Except in IPA's and IIPA's naturally...

Cheers

Ed: what was the recipe Aces?

I think the salient point is that Citra has a powerful passionfruit aroma that can be used for good or evil.

Aces high, if you unexpectedly discover a butterfly tattoo on your hip one day then what you have brewed really is girly weak-sauce (its a well known side effect of passionfruit UDLs). It's easy to see how citra could be employed in a summer lager that might convert some of the pre-mix guzzling twenty-somethings to something that might strengthen their wrists a little.

I love beers with a big aroma but I like to team it with a good whack of bitterness for balance.

I'm just about to keg an APA bittered with Magnum, flavoured and dry hopped with Citra. I lowered the dry to 1.5g/L, hoping it doesn't over power too much. :icon_drool2:

A well timed thread Stu.
Just received a bag of citra in the mail and am planning on banging out an APA today using it.
Will take the above advise on board and use sparingly with a combination of freshly picked cascade flowers and chinook I think.

OT. Am I alone in thinking that my masculinity and what I drink are pretty much unrelated. Unless I'm doing testosterone slammers? I could be drinking champers with a hibiscus flower and still have a big wang.

Yob said:
I've never been a single hop sort of brewer, I find single hopped beers a bit to, strangely enough, one dimensional.. I also like the challenge of finding that sweet combination of hops when developing a recipe. Given the above I can't comment on Citra by itself but damn, used as a companion to (as mentioned) Amarillo or Centennial (or almost any other C hop) is where it shines..

A little bit goes a long way when used as companion hops an I find that having a hint of something is sometimes better than being punched in the face by it... Except in IPA's and IIPA's naturally...

Cheers

Ed: what was the recipe Aces?
Ive used it in IPA with centennial and cascade and also an ale. Both times I have used it clost to flame out then dry hopped with it as well. Maybe i'll try some smaller flame additions and not dry hop with it.

I don't get passionfruit with Citra ... Galaxy, yes.

Citra for me, is lychees and rosewater (turkish delight).

Love the stuff - but at the end of a pound a couple of years ago I almost swore off the stuff too.

I can't fault Citra. It's a smooth bitterer, a reliable dry hopper and is great value at it's AA%. 10 minute IPAs with it are awesome.

Nick JD said:
I don't get passionfruit with Citra ... Galaxy, yes.

Citra for me, is lychees and rosewater (turkish delight).

Love the stuff - but at the end of a pound a couple of years ago I almost swore off the stuff too.

I can't fault Citra. It's a smooth bitterer, a reliable dry hopper and is great value at it's AA%. 10 minute IPAs with it are awesome.
Really... passionfruit is all I can smell, gonna have to go back and smell it again now. It 7.45am too early to pour a beer if its for scientific purposes

This is the last recipe which i kegged this week. Just looking back now I have cascade listed as the dry hop, but Im pretty sure I did citra. the 0 minute additions were at whirlpool

Hop bust IPA 17-3-13 (American IPA)
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 65.0 (Average)
83% Pale Malt
10% Wheat Malt
4% Crystal 10
3% Amber Malt
1.1 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.3 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 17°C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Looks good mate. Not sure where the passionfruit is coming from. If I lived closer I would help you dispose of it safely :)

Citra= Ho Hum, but I did like Passiona when a kid :icon_drool2:
But if you make it [Citra] limited everyone will want it. Like Cascade at one time.
But Cascade is way more usable.
MY2C
Nev

I need to try this hop again. I have only used it once when trying to clone LCPA and the LHBS was out of Galaxy, so as others have said it was Cascade and Citra. This beer holds a sentimental place as one of my best beers ever, but it was a long time ago and many good brews have flowed since, so a revisit is called for.

Have to agree with you stu
Just keg hopped with 21g of citra and I'm getting the same within 10m
Dry hopped an APA that's been sitting there for the last month or more, was going to dump it as it wasn't great but the citra has made it drinkable

couple hrs in and a good few pints down citra has turned this throw away keg into a ripper!

Latest posts

Back