How To Do Extract Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tez

Reaction score
Hi All,

Could anyone kindly give me basic step by step intrcutions on how to do "extract brewing"
If its already here somewhere if somebody could link me it.. i just cant find it from the search or manually.

I seen on here a while ago someone getting help to do an extract brew by you fellas... but i cant find it now.
I know how to do the basic kit one (a tin & a bag of malt), but i want to boil the hops or whatever to imporve a kit brew. I just need to know what to buy and how to boil it and stuff like that.

I hope i made some sort of sense

Thanks in advance,
Tez

Hi - I just got back into brewing after a long break.

Managed in the mean time to gain a lot of equipment - kegerator etc

I have just brewed a extract brew - buying unhopped extract and adding hops to the extract.

I basically added a third of my extract to water - boiled with water and added hops near enough to an all grain recipe. Then near rthe end of boil threw in the reast of the extract. Pitched with liquid yeast.

Just tasted and fanatatic.

Best thing you can do is get a copy of Beersmith - it is a pragram that lest you add all you ingredients in and calculates the bitterness etc ...so you get the hops right. Basicaly copy an all grain recipe but use the program to make sure you are replicatiing the right bitterness, flavour and aroma.

Here is the recipe I did - and the extract from Beersmith.

Type: Extract

Date: 28/08/2009Batch Size: 22.00 L

Brewer: Boil Size: 25.18 LAsst Brewer: Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -Taste Notes:
Ingredients
AmountItemType% or IBU3.70 kgWheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)Extract100.0 %9.00 gmPearle [8.00%] (90 min)Hops8.5 IBU12.00 gmTettnang [4.50%] (90 min)Hops6.4 IBU12.00 gmTettnang [4.50%] (45 min)Hops5.5 IBU7.00 gmTettnang [4.50%] (15 min)Hops1.7 IBU1 PkgsWeihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)Yeast-Wheat​
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG

Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.012 SGMeasured Final Gravity: 1.005 SGEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %Bitterness: 22.1 IBUCalories: 90 cal/lEst Color: 7.8 SRMColor:

+1 for the recipes section and John Palmers "How to brew". Great starting point for theory and to have an idea of what kind of beer you want to make.

edit: bconnery's post is great - try to get a copy of the hops spreadsheet in there.

Good luck.

1.) In a pot with 4L of water, add 300g of dried malt.

2.) Bring to the boil and add your bittering hops (~20g in a permeable bag of some sort).

3.) Wait 40 minutes. Throw in another bag.

4.) Wait ten minutes. Throw in your third hop bag.

5.) Wait five minutes. Fill up your fermenter with goop/dried malt/dextrose (~3kg).

6.) Throw away the first two hop bags (keep the bags for future use).

7.) Pour into your fermenter the pot's liquid - including the third hop bag.

8.) Stir to dissolve. Top up with cold water. Add yeast.

Thanks heaps for all the posts guys, alot of good info in that
Ill be giving it a crack this weekend!
Cheers!

Cheers!

Ill put in a plug for AHBers Iannh's Kit and extract designer. Its somewhere here, youll find it easy enough. A great asset for extract brewing. Its fun its free and its home grown so dont forget to thank Ianh.He has put a lot of work into it. Its a ripper. :icon_cheers:
Daz

+1 for Ians K&E recipe designer spreadsheet, was great for my first extract brews :) even for the recipes i did up when getting rid of my last kits its fun tweaking recipes

Cheers!

You may also be interested in the introductory extract course at Holesglen Tafe, starting 9th Nov to 7th Dec (5 weeks). This course covers extract brewing, all you need to know about malt, hops and yeast, how to vary the brew and styles of beer. If you want to understand how each ingredient affects the beer then you need to attend this course. Please go to http://www.costanzobrewing.com/Brewing%20School.htm for further details.

Vince Costanzo
Course facilitator

I was looking at the 'How to Brew by John Palmer' site and he recomends a 20 qt. (18lt) brew pot.
So I was looking around and is it worth getting a bigger stock pot? Is it going to be much more of a benefit to the beer or just make it easier?
I get how a larger pot will sort mean it will retain more flavor and there is less water that needs to be used to top up to make the batch. But is there a size where it is just not worth the money/effort?
Thanks

IMO for extract brewing it actually makes it harder, takes a long time to cool 18 odd litres of wort in the sink, different story if you have chiller of some sort. I use a 15 litre pot, and boil with 10 litres. HTB assumes you'll be boiling with all the extract, I don't most of the time and add about half of it in the last 5-10 mins of the boil, so hop utilisation is still retained at the same level as boiling a full volume but you don't need a big ass pot and it cools alot quicker. If you have the means to cool that much wort then great, I don't, so that's just how I do it. Many ways to skin a kitten.

I've never seen the point in boiling any more than 4L for extract brewing - all you need to do is extract hop bitterness and flavour - the other ingredients have less bugs in them than your fermenter. This eliminates any need for cooling.

Has anyone ever had an infection through cold tap water?

You could go all out and purchase an Urn for when you inevitably progress onto BIAB :D

Would it be going too far to get some high heels as well? Maybe a little makeup?

Latest posts

Back