House Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Im fairly keen to get a standard house ale brew going. Im after an un-offensive ale that can be brewed for most to enjoy - a good sessionable beer. I want to be able to make it without a great deal of maintenance in terms of retrieving ingredients. So my plan is bulk order hops/yeast, so i can bung it on without traveling to the LHBS

Any suggestions/post of anyones house ales would be appreciated. Current recipe is looking as such - minus hops

Coopers Draught
500g LDME
500g BE2
S-04 OR S-05

So a hop advice would be great. Im thinking maybe 10g Hallertau or Hersbrucker, OR, 10g cascade or nelson sauvin, then a cold infusion four or five days.

cheers

The hops sound good...just more of 'em, I'd suggest.

I assume you mean US-05? If so, it's very neutral. Definitely worth chucking more hops in. S0-4 has more character. (An OK yeast, but I find it's a bit rough at first, and improves greatly with some aging.)

u could use a base 3kg coopers liquid malt us-56 yeast and change the hops every brew to get to know the differant flavours and what not
Just a suggestion/ thinking of doing it myself

u could use a base 3kg coopers liquid malt us-56 yeast and change the hops every brew to get to know the differant flavours and what not
Just a suggestion/ thinking of doing it myself

Good suggestion. There are now the millions questions - what type of house ale do you want ? malty, hoppy, yeasty ?

If you haven't got a calculator such as Beersmith (the demo version is free and good) think about getting one. You imput the ingredients and its comes with a good approximation of the outcomes (how dark, how bitter etc). Its the best toy to play with ingredients and while it won't make you good beer, you will know what to aim for. Info on ingredients are available both on the web and from members here.

Aint brewing fun :super:

Back