Hops Rhizomes For Sale X 21 Varieties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Hops rhizomes for sale x 21 varieties

I have bought off Andrew 3 years ago and have just sent an order for this year.

Top bloke and easy to deal with No affiliation other than being a happy customer.

Any AHBers interested?

Dear Hops Grower

I will be selling hops rhizomes again this year and I am emailing you, as a previous hops rhizome buyer, to offer you first choice of the biggest rhizomes I have to offer.

I'll begin harvesting and posting rhizomes over the next couple of weeks. Rhizomes will be $17 each plus postage. Postage will be via express post and will cost an extra $9 (500g express satchel) for one rhizome and $13 (3kg express satchel) for 2 or more rhizomes. For larger orders, postage will be an extra $20 with orders sent in a 5kg express satchel. Rhizomes will be labelled with individual aluminium tags and packed in moist coir in a ziplock bag. Full growing instructions will be included and the rhizomes will be carefully packed with padding to ensure safe arrival.

A total of 21 varieties will be available this year:

Cluster

Willamette

Mt Hood

Nugget

Liberty

Cascade

Chinook

Columbus

Pride of Ringwood

Victoria

Goldings

Fuggles

Northdown

Challenger

Target

Super Alpha

Hallertau

Hersbrucker

Perle

Tettnang

Saaz

I have also attached to this email some information on the different varieties.

If you are interested in purchasing some hops rhizomes this year, please reply to this email and let me know what you'd like to order. I will respond within 24 hours to confirm your order and provide payment details.

Please feel free to forward on this email to any other people who you think might be interested in growing hops.

I will run out of some varieties quickly so it will be a matter of first in best dressed. If you have any further queries or questions, please send me an email.

Cheers

Andrew

[email protected]

View attachment Hops_varieties.doc

21 varieties Kev.
Pfft, the only ones on that list I don't have are Northdown and Super Alpha (which I can't imagine ever wanting/using).

However, I did get 7 varieties from him - via Ebay - and the rhizomes were always in top shape, so if you can't get/find/swap/bargain what you want elsewhere it's worth the cost. An interesting coincidence is that 5 varieties that I had no crop from this/last year all came from Andrew, however, most likely the reason for no crop is related more to the variety and conditions than the rhizome.

$17 is a reasonable price, anyone had any luck growing challenger and how does it rate compared to the real deal?

He was selling them for up to $100 on ebay 3-4 years ago by auctioning them and only selling a few per variety at a time to maximise the price. :ph34r:

I like to think that selling them for $10 the last few years has helped drive the price down :p

$17 is a reasonable price, anyone had any luck growing challenger and how does it rate compared to the real deal?
Challenger was one of my didn't grow so well and didn't crop-yet varieties, hopefully next year (or it gets pulled out).

I was able to get some Hops from this guy last year.
They were well packed, arrived quickly, and I had a good first year harvest.

He's one of the few sellers who will go the extra mile in sending them to Tasmania ;)

He's one of the few sellers who will go the extra mile in sending them to Tasmania ;)

Is that legal??

I looked into it to try and share the rhizome love to our southern brethren.

It can be done the legal way if the rhizomes are treated with about a hundred different chemicals in the 10 days leading up to being sent and if they are accompanied by a Plant Health Certificate from an authorised person.

So did your rhizomes come accompanied with a plant health certificate? :ph34r:

You only need to do that to send to WA unless Tas have tightened their requirements.

Just complete and send the notice of intent form http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter,nsf/Attac...YAA-8MX3ZZ?open

Must be free of soil, pest and disease free, and they are a bit funny if you are in a potato cyst nematode area or in a viticultural area due to other pests and diseases.

I looked into it to try and share the rhizome love to our southern brethren.

It can be done the legal way if the rhizomes are treated with about a hundred different chemicals in the 10 days leading up to being sent and if they are accompanied by a Plant Health Certificate from an authorised person.

So did your rhizomes come accompanied with a plant health certificate? :ph34r:

Nope the above post is not true I was the person who looked for the legal way, that link is for 'produce' ie for consumption and not 'live' plants. Will find the link and post here when I do.

Thanks Hyjak. Looks like the rules have changed recently. The last time I spoke with Tas Quarantine was a few years ago and it was simply a matter of filling in the notice of intent form and satisfying some other conditions. The conditions in the link above are similar to the conditions for sending rhizomes to WA. It can be done, but it's too costly and time consuming to go through.

So sorry Sponge, it looks like I can't send rhizomes to Tasmania and I'll have to refund your payment.

Sall good, I'm not from Tas so it didn't affect me.

Just a note I got at the bottom of the email I received from Andrew so I just thought Id pass that on to everyone for a little added info.

Sponge

I've emailed the guy re some of the german varieties - will go nicely with the american/aussie rizhomes I just received from DrSmurto. Going to be busy in the garden this Spring!

Back